Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a technical point of view, at this moment it is not however from a personal point of view, Tulamben is too close to Agung Volcano :)

Anyway, things are good now. No signs of danger.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

So Tulamben is inside the government's exclusion zone, there were a spate of earthquakes out that way a few days ago, up to 5 Richter scale.

My decision is to not go to that area at this time. YMMV

- Bill

Certainly personal decisions apply on this matter but from a diving point of view, operations are up and running in Tulamben :)

Bill your comment above confused me a tad so I checked and correct me if I'm wrong, but the current exclusion zone is now 7.5km on the NE side of Mt Agung.
Therefore Tulamben is OUTSIDE of the exclusion zone, therefore the resorts can open.

Now whether or not you still want to risk it personally....well obviously that is up to you!!

Tulamben is now outside the exclusion zone though it is close to the Volcano.
I just returned from Amed where I have a house rented, completed one dive at Kubu on the Boga wreck, one at the liberty wreck and two dives in Jemeluk Bay. There was only one other group at the Boga wreck and they were coming out as we went in, Saw around 15-20 Divers at the Liberty.
Whilst diving at Liberty and Boga you can hear the rumblings from the Volcano underwater.

At present no diving is permitted at the Boga/Liberty after 3pm so night dives are out until further notice.

True indeed, no dives allowed after 3PM and from what we've heard is this rule will last for quite a while ... anyway, it doesn't necessarily impact the dive centers from Padang Bai or Sanur but it surely bums up a bit the ones established in Tulamben :)

We just got news that the 3PM rule is not applied anymore so the local government says we can extend after 3PM and be able to do 3 dives in Tulamben. We however don't trust it the much and stick to 2 dives.

The consideration for the 3PM rule is specially for how fast can EMS reach Tulamben in case of emergency considering the distance from the main EMS as well as the narrow roads.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom