Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for my personal opinion as to whether if I were booked on a vacation there at the moment. I'd cancel. I'd first talk to my insurance, because they may not want to pay up if there is no eruption, and again my not wish to pay up if there is as it'ds a known event with warning

The evacuation areas are those likely to be hit by fast moving Lava and pyrocastic flows. The whole island will get rocks and ash hurled at them.

There will be a huge stretch on the emergency services and resources dealing with those who live there without adding more vactationers

I'm trying to drag out cancelling because if something happens or there's a travel advisory issued, my insurance will pay out. My potential losses aren't that big ($300 ish in deposits, $200 in airplane change fees) but hey, if I can get them back... why not?

I feel the same way about the emergency services and resources. That's why it feels a bit tacky to go if tings don't settle down. And I don't know nearly enough about volcanoes to know whether that's realistic or not - I can't see why it would.... but tourism operators keep saying it will be fine, and so do the Balinese authorities. They all have a financial benefit from that message, however.

I guess I'll just wait and see for now... or at least until the absolute last day I can cancel without incurring additional penalties, in case insurance can bail me out.

Are you considering Padang Bai as well? I wonder if they are operating.

- Bill
Yes, we dove there today.. damn cold though :D
We have adjusted all of our current bookings to dive in Penida/Lembongan, Padang Bai, and Menjangan areas. As I know all other operators have as well. As long as the airport is open then there is plenty of great diving to be done in the Bali area, the only issue is obviously the airport. If the volcano goes then the airport will most certainly close, question is, when and for how long? That we don't know... Certainly a heartbreaking situation for those living in the affected areas.
There are plenty of organizations set up now for accepting donations and other help for the thousands of evacuees who are currently living in school gyms and community centres, if you would like to donate then have a look at an organization such as Solemen Bali or other such organizations Solemen Indonesia

I've told my friend I'm not flying to Bali unless the volcano alert level drops - and that the absolute last day for that to happen is Oct 1. We incur additional charges in terms of cancellation penalties past that date.

I don't want to risk my health, my insurance has given me a wink wink on my coverage (they can't definitively rule on a claim unless it's incurred) and that, based on the volcano level & well publicized threat, if I choose to go I should make sure I can personally cover anything that may happen... and frankly I still question the ethics of holidaying in a potential disaster zone.

As for my personal opinion as to whether if I were booked on a vacation there at the moment. I'd cancel. I'd first talk to my insurance, because they may not want to pay up if there is no eruption, and again my not wish to pay up if there is as it'ds a known event with warning

The evacuation areas are those likely to be hit by fast moving Lava and pyrocastic flows. The whole island will get rocks and ash hurled at them.

There will be a huge stretch on the emergency services and resources dealing with those who live there without adding more vactationers

My opinion is different, though not necessarily better informed.

I probably would not cancel plans to come to Bali or go thru Bali -- assuming that I could handle a few days' flight delays either going or coming.

I *would* cancel plans if they were dependent on diving at Tulamben, or maybe even the entire east side of the island.

OTOH if it were easy for me to cancel and re-book for another period - sure, cancel and re-book.

Just my 2 cents.

- Bill

My group of 20 is flying into Denpasar on Weds, Thurs, and Friday, from points all over the world.
Our Plan A is to hope the airport is open.
Plan B, if we are diverted to Lombok, is to take the fast boat to Sanur.
Our first week of diving will be on the MERMAID II to Komodo and back.
Our second week is around Bali, but not Tulamben, unfortunately.

My group of 20 is flying into Denpasar on Weds, Thurs, and Friday, from points all over the world.

I'm hoping someone from the MMII group after you (7 - 14 Oct) gets cold feet so I can take their place (at a discount :wink:, of course!)

It is not going to happen (fingers crossed), but if it does, and if it is a large enough group that gets diverted, you should just have the MM2 pick you up in Lombok.... Having experienced an eruption while in Bali, I would avoid having to transition through Bali.

Describe it?
Best way to describe it is that no one seems to know anything. Even when you have a translator, no one knows anything. When we were in Bali, the airport closed for 3 days and it was mayhem (volcano was not on Bali). And this was just at the airport. I can't imagine what it would be like at the port in Sanur, which is crowded on a normal day, if people are trying to get off the island. It just felt impossible to get anything accomplished. Indonesians were given priority for flights even if you were there before them. I understand some of it for sure, since people were trying to get home to families, but it was frustrating because you felt a bit helpless. I don't think a lot of people will be trying to get to Bali if the Volcano erupts, so getting to Bali on a return taxi/fast boat might not be an issue. We were lucky to be diving with Dive Damai and they were with us every step of the way (at airport and hotels) helping us get sorted, it would have been much more frustrating without that support.

I also want to point out that in order to get insurance to cover my trip cancellation I had to supply a letter from the airline and Bali airport about the closure and subsequent cancellations(I guess world news wasn't good enough). So if anyone has problems make sure you get documentation while you are there and save all receipts, tickets and boarding passes!

Back
Top Bottom