TULAMBEN and soon...Dec.1-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so I've been lurking, getting lots of great information and comments about Tulamben, the accomodations and diving in general in the vicinity. (Also lot's of great suggestions on where to eat, get a massage etc.!) It's been swell to get all this input because we are staying in Tulamben at the begining of December and it will be new diving for us Caribbean indulgers. Can't wait...

...but since I have to, I did have some questions about current dive conditions, water temp, viz whatever. (I know it's the start of rainy season but I'm hoping the early part of it is not too boisterous.) Anyone there now (or recently there) that has any other last minute, up to the minute or just plain timeless Tulamben input? (Uh, actually any input is appreciated, not just that from current or recenty "Experienced" types!) THANKS! // ww

ps--A very special thanks to all who have already shared so much personal wisdom about the area! :eyebrow:

WW
we're there 17 - 24 Oct. 2009. The first 2 days was high surf, a bit tricky to enter the water; viz. so so, a week before was very poor so many plankton and algae. Warm water, I have no problem using 1 mm Bare thermalskin for 3 - 4 dives/day.
The nexts days was much better in term of surf but had to swim again strong current from wreck to the shore. according to local guide, the current at that time beyond normal.
Not very comfy for night diving but we saw lot of critters incl. mimic octopus; strange decorator crab, electric clam, clown frogfish, ect.
No rain. Viz. vary 10 - 15 m; but much better at the coral garden.
The old cuda still there, lot of nudibranch, huge grouper, pigmy seahorse, school of jackfish as usual. The bumphead parrotfishes seem getting big and bigger
There's mola2 sighting at Seraya on 17 Oct. but we dove Seraya on 18 - not our luck; but as usual harlequin shrimps, coleman shrimp, ornate ghost, pigmy seahorse, crinoid shrimps, and manymore.

Cheers

Thanks Wisnu! I always appreciate your posts for their specifics and information. Sounds like more than enough critter variety, so I know we'll enjoy our time there. // ww

I don't know how far back you searched in this forum but I always try to stress to newcomers to Tulamben the need to bring a good pair of booties or sandals (such as Tevas) because the terrain on the beach is all rocks and boulders, except for a small stretch at the East end of the beach where you enter to do the Drop-Off dive. At both Coral Gardens and the Liberty Wreck dive sites, these rocks and boulders extend some 30 or so feet into the water - which makes entries and exits a bit more challenging than if it were a typical sandy beach shore dive.

After this trip, you may think twice about diving the Caribbean again. Have fun.

MS--We dive Bonaire a lot, hard soled booties are our friends. Thanks for the warning though. (I mean about the Caribbean...:eyebrow: ) Been looking at this forum on and off the last 6-7 months, the insights and observations have been most helpful and appreciated. // ww

I don't know how far back you searched in this forum but I always try to stress to newcomers to Tulamben the need to bring a good pair of booties or sandals (such as Tevas) because the terrain on the beach is all rocks and boulders, except for a small stretch at the East end of the beach where you enter to do the Drop-Off dive. At both Coral Gardens and the Liberty Wreck dive sites, these rocks and boulders extend some 30 or so feet into the water - which makes entries and exits a bit more challenging than if it were a typical sandy beach shore dive.

After this trip, you may think twice about diving the Caribbean again. Have fun.

2 persons who wore Tevas for our slippery trek up to a waterfall in Malaysia were ready to throw their expensive Tevas out for good... :eyebrow:
imho the difficulty with shore entry at Tulamben is trying to balance with all the scuba equipment when the surf is high, nothing to do with the dive booties (ours are thin soled & they work fine on the boulders, the walk from the dive shop to the beach is more painful, lots of small, sharp stones...)

WWW, hope u get good weather at Tulamben! Have fun!

X--Well let's hope for small surf. Yeah the booties only get you so far then it's up to the entry gods. Surf or no, good weather or otherwise it'll be fun. Great to have had all the input that SB provides and I'll be happy to pass along any wisdom gained upon our return. Just got some new macro equipment delivered yesterday (phew), I'm told I might see a few small things if I keep my eyes open...:eyebrow: Thanks! // ww

Hi there,

I love Tulemben, it's my first dive site and I've been back for probably 30 dives. Did one trip around December and had good weather but it can be hit or miss and local dive masters say the rain does affect vis. The wreck is fantastic at sunrise and for night diving. Also good to slip in the water when other divers are eating lunch, as the site has less traffic. Early afternoon sun (maybe 2pm) is perfect for diving the "drop off." You can catch a local boat or car to Seraya for critter hunting for probably $10US

It's easy to kick out from shore to the Liberty wreck. I've never had a problem with thin soled booties and walking on the rounded smooth lava rocks. If it bugs your feet, I think it would be pretty easy to tip a porter to carry your gear. Keep an eye out for lots of scorpion fish on the wreck.

I am guessing you have reservations? If you are not looking for luxury, I do know very inexpensive ways to dive Tulemben. If you'd like more info please feel free to PM me.

Also there is no ATM in town and limited internet at best.

Enjoy!!

KD--Certainly have heard a lot of good things about diving Tulamben, sounds like a solid variety of things to see. The weather will be what it is. We did 2 weeks a few years ago in Bonaire and it was seriously raining a lot of the time. Lucky thing it was a dive vacation, didn't seem to be a problem below water! Will certainy be trying to do Seraya, good to know the "going rate". Also good to know when to dive the drop-off too--thanks! // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom