TSDT Formal Organization Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the uniqueness of what we have right now. And, besides, I've seen what goes on with one of our local dive clubs (which shall remain nameless), and I don't want the TSDT having any part of that.

I vote no to formalization also.

I second all of the "no's."

Well i would vote no , but this comes from experince

a couple of years ago i used to race remote control cars competitively and was apart of a group that started online similar to this, at first it was just online but then as the years went by it got morer formal and a board was set and formalized the group, and then the problems started, once the board was set from the most active members in the group, and soon there was infighting in the group that set the groups founder apart from the rest of the group because of what one person wanted as opposed to the good of the group. in addition to this there was money that was collected from a charity race that the founder took and was never found. in the end the group disbanded and the founder went to jail. What started out as a group of people having fun that got to serious and it all crumbled for the rest

FWIW

Dan

Well, here it comes from a newby to the board--- The way I see it, the Swampers are an interpersonal, informal group which interact with a very active, interactive web site. Joining a dive club is cheap, if desired. The benefits are self evident. So, why should all you guys want to fix something that ain't broke??? Cudabait

I like Dee's thought behind it all

I know it's taking a while to get in the works but don't forget that KN and LD have plans along these very lines for the whole NDI (Neptune Diviers International) organization. Although the plans are for it to be world wide, there may still be a place for more specific organization within the local chapters. But the basis for discounts on travel, t-shirts and goodies, etc. will already be there. We won't need formal organization just to get deals on diving and travel.

I say If you want or need a formal club then wait for KN and LD to set NDI as a formal club. That way you can have the best of both.

Ask the Flower Garden boats? Would they even let you book it even if you had your own insurance? I am a dive shop owner and have found it extremely difficult to even book the boats as a dive shop. I have been in business one year and in the dive industry as whole for the last 5 years. I am also a travel agent ( with insurance) and was not allowed to book the boats. They only allowed dive shops.

Just my 2 cents .

Debra W. :winkbl:

the reason I am involed with this groupl is the type of NON-structure that it has... I've chosen NOT to join groups like what you are talking about for that EXACT reson... We have enough structure in our lives... Besides... the more I talk about the swamp divers the more people join just because of the way it is...
Just my 2cents worth

Ask the Flower Garden boats? Would they even let you book it even if you had your own insurance? I am a dive shop owner and have found it extremely difficult to even book the boats as a dive shop. I have been in business one year and in the dive industry as whole for the last 5 years. I am also a travel agent ( with insurance) and was not allowed to book the boats. They only allowed dive shops.

I am not in the least bit suprised at the response. I like the informality of the whole group as well. I am now answering Debra's question.

I spoke to Capt Frank of the Spree and part owner of Gulf Diving at length about this subject.

The Houston Underwater Photographers Society used to book trips for the club in the past. They had a diver get injured (killed?) and they quit. They were allowed to do what they did because they had insurance that covered group trips.

There is one club that is grandfathered and is allowed to book trips on its own. The first year they miss... that's it. The practice will stop. I am not a shop owner. I don't even pretend to understand insurance. I am simply relaying info that was handed to me as best as I understand it.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom