TSandM -- Lynne Flaherty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, like so many, have never met Lynne but feel a terrible sadness with this news. I hope that you may find comfort is knowing that she has touched an endless amount of people that she has never even met. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Damn......she was kind of brilliant

Ugh. not what I wanted to hear.

Upon reading the first post, it was shock and disbelief... Anytime there was a heated discussion here on SB and her post showed up, it was like a ray of sunshine breaking through the storm clouds. I enjoyed her viewpoints, and above all others, I respected her opinion the most here on SB. I didn't know her personally but feel like I've lost a dear friend... I'm very saddened by this news. My condolences to Peter and those who knew her.

All -- I can't tell you how amazed yet so very pleased I am at all of the responses.

Lynne, I love you, have loved you for years and will love you forever.

Good bye my dear.

Oh Peter I am so sorry.

I met Lynne just once on a dive boat and was impressed by her kindness, her passion and her intellect. That was only reinforced by a thousand or more of her posts here. She surely made the world a better place both for her diving, her contributions here, what she did to help the countless people seen in the ER. It surely cannot be an easy time but know you were with the best.

A.

Peter, soooo sorry to hear of this tragedy, she's been an inspiration to many here......Will be praying for you.....

I'm still in disbelief that this is happening.....

Like many of you, I met Lynne here on SB. As has been said many times, she was a great ambassador for safety, good diving skills and education. I had the good fortune to know Lynne in person as well, and I dove with her a few times down in Seattle. I also got to spend several days with her on a liveaboard down in California. Every time we dove together, she would go through every step of the process. Dive site review of a site she had been to a hundred times, gear checks, dive plans, navigation.... nothing was left out, ever. She was safe, she was prepared, and she made sure she had done everything in her power to ensure the same was true of her dive buddies. I think she was just immune to the complacency that most divers struggle with, it really was remarkable.

Lynne had a way of making you feel special, like you were genuinely missed when you were gone and like she was the lucky one to be able to spend a dive with you. She would smile so bright and just be so happy when she ran into someone she hadn't seen in a while, and wouldn't hesitate to start looking for an extra tank or whatever was needed to go do a dive with them.

The last time I saw Lynne, I had gone down to Cove 2 by myself early one morning to see who was diving and hopefully pick up an insta-buddy or two for a quick swim. She was there to help with a class (or to teach one, I can't remember). I told her what I was up to, and she said she had time before her class started and grabbed an extra tank. While gearing up, she said how nice a relaxing dive would be before the work and organized chaos of a class. So, that's what we did. No cameras, no scooters, no distractions. It was a fairly short dive, 40 minutes or so, but it was quiet and calm and simple. We started and ended the dive at her vehicle in the parking lot (that was one of her rules after the bad fall she had at C2), and we said our goodbyes and I left.

This Saturday (the 29th), I will be heading down to Cove 2 for an early morning dive, probably 7am or so. No camera, no scooter, no distractions. It's not Neah Bay, but I feel it's as good a place as I can ask for to say goodbye and to pay my respects. I didn't know her as well as many of you did, and I'm sure the loss I feel pales in comparison to the grief of others. I just want to make an effort to show how unique and special of a person i think Lynne was, and how much I respect her for everything she has done for so many people. If anyone else is around, I could use an insta-buddy.

Our bright and shining light has gone out, but she made this place and the world a better place..
Our prayers are with you Peter..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom