TSA, the Fun Never Ends..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill51:
No, because there only needs to be one pilot or crew member that panics while listening to each passenger one by one get their throats slit – or worse, and the door will open.

And you've got a couple hundred passengers standing around like sheep waiting for their throats to be cut?

lamont:
TWA 800 blew up because of the center fuel tank. I got paranoid at one point after 9/11 and looked into the possibility that it was hit by a shoulder-fired missile and came out convinced it was just the fuel tank. None of the other theories hold up.

Nobody has ever tied terrorism to Egypt Air 990 either.

Nor has anyone ever tied terrorism to AA 587 in Nov 2001.

And if Richard Reid's shoe bomb had brought down AA 63 in Dec 2001, nobody would have ever tied terrorism to that flight, either.

lamont:
How many hijackings were there in the 5 years prior?
I don’t have the exacts on those since much of the data from 1997 to 2001 has been moved from FAA to TSA records, but from memory I can think of a half dozen spectacular ones and a few typically stupid ones. I guess not all hijackings are bad since we had the one in 2000 where the passengers hijacked an internal flight in Afghanistan to England and they all requested asylum.

lamont:
And you've got a couple hundred passengers standing around like sheep waiting for their throats to be cut?

No, they're all unconscious from the gas created from the liquids and gels allowed onboard.

ReefHound:
No, they're all unconscious from the gas created from the liquids and gels allowed onboard.
After the terrorists block easy access through the plane by tying their long hoses across the aisles – I knew they were dangerous. :D

ReefHound:
And if Richard Reid's shoe bomb had brought down AA 63 in Dec 2001, nobody would have ever tied terrorism to that flight, either.

Reconstruction of the airframe would have shown where the blast occured and that it originated in the passenger compartment. And Richard Reid was not working alone, in this specific case we would have had confirmation that it was tied to terrorism after we captured KSM.

Bill51:
I don’t have the exacts on those since much of the data from 1997 to 2001 has been moved from FAA to TSA records, but from memory I can think of a half dozen spectacular ones and a few typically stupid ones. I guess not all hijackings are bad since we had the one in 2000 where the passengers hijacked an internal flight in Afghanistan to England and they all requested asylum.

how many in the 5 years prior on american flights? hijackings on Afghanistan to England flights have nothing to do with TSA policies.

lamont:
TWA 800 blew up because of the center fuel tank.

Why did the center fuel tank blow up? You do remember that convicted terrorist Ramzi Yousef, planner of the 1993 WTC bombing, had previously designed a plan to blow up the center fuel tank of a 747. In fact, it was attempted with Flight 434.

Also remember that the FBI detected plastic explosives residue in the debris but it was explained away as due to a security exercise conducted a few weeks earlier.

howarde:
RE: Matches -

Referring to someone else's replies...

I don't recall anyone saying that the TSA is the best system out there, or that we should feel ultimately safe because of them. Can anyone honestly say that the systems in place today are WORSE for security than they were 6 years ago?

Originally Posted by TSA.GOV
Matches

You may not bring matches in your checked baggage because of safety regulations. You may, however, bring up to four books of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches in your carry-on baggage or on your person.

Tell that to the security agent that took the matches

I don't think anyone on the board is complaining about having to go through the security or the time it takes (although I was a little upset at 2 hours in London recently) I think its more the ineffectiveness when normally compliant passengers get through with stuff by mistake. If you or I can do it that easy then someone with a little thought applied will breeze through it.

lamont:
Reconstruction of the airframe would have shown where the blast occured and that it originated in the passenger compartment. And Richard Reid was not working alone, in this specific case we would have had confirmation that it was tied to terrorism after we captured KSM.

There would have been no reconstruction of the airframe if it went down in 12000 feet of water and we wouldn't have known what questions to ask of KSM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom