TSA got you down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if that's the case, let's do it the israeli way.

-Lets have people walking around airports with automatic weapons.
-30 second interrogations of your kids while you're not present (see: post a few pages back about someone's family experience in Israel).
-Curbside checks that you are a ticketed passenger, no non ticketed family memebers allowde inside.
-Racial profiling. Meaning if you're white and from the midwest? You're likely to be an anti-government militant so you get extra questioning.
-Government IDs, because how else are they going to profile you? Therefore you need to register your address, your religious affiliation, your family history, all your relations, all criminal offenses. And carry all of that on a card with an RFID chip which OMG can be read from across the room by Big Brother! Oh wait they have all that information already.

But hey, they won't touch your junk.

Seriously, people are all complaining about how bad TSA is and comparing it to other countries, what I want to know is How effective were other countries' security when they FIRST STARTED. Rome wasn't built in a day folks.

Wouldn't only then we be comparing apples to apples?

What the heck has this got to do with anything in fact much of this is a figment of you imagination. But to answer your illogical rant I think what many people are saying is the procedures the TSSA are implementing are not effective and always after the fact, E.G. the bungled attempt by the shoe bomber now they make everyone remove their shoes including Grandpa and Grandma who have been traveling to Florida in the winter for the last 100 or so years.

Really, the "don't like it? don't fly" crowd amuses me, simply because they haven't been annoyed to the point that THEY don't like it, yet. Let's tack "full-body x-ray", 20-minute MRI, and full cavity search onto those boarding requirements and see how much they'll be cheering their "anal probes for freedom".

Yes, I'm getting snarky and falling into the same non-arguments as I've seen in this thread so far.

On a more considered note, I see a lot of posts automatically equating "profiling" with "racial profiling". Racial profiling is to a large extent, a form of racism where guilt is assumed based on the physical appearance of a person... The kind of profiling that seems to go on in Israel seems a bit more carefully considered than that, taking into account the person's behavior. I think *proper* profiling would be extremely useful in thwarting terrorist attacks, but I think TSA lacks the skills to perform such a task, and I doubt that any amount of training would make up for that.

Latest TSA-related article: Where I draw the line - Roger Ebert's Journal

This thread really makes me think of the Dead Kennedys ... WWJD? What would Jello do? :eyebrow:

Do a search on the numbers of weapons seized by TSA in the past. Who cares to wait to see if they had any intention to use these weapons.
Following that logic, I guess the NRA should be outlawed and all weapon owners arrested. :crafty:
After all, there were over 12,000 firearm homicides in the US in 2007. That's 4 times the death toll of 9/11 (which, let's not forget, occurred nine years ago).

I will be going via S. Korea (hope N. Korea doesn't shoot us down). I will gladly submit to whatever they feel is necessary.
Well, according to the CDC, there were over 110,000 lethal accidents and 18,000 homicides in the US in 2005.
Which gives us an approximate risk ratio of 1 in 2,300.
Now let's say your average flight to Korea carries about 230 passengers.
Unless North Korea has been shooting down one out of every 10 planes that flew in the area, we can assume you'll be safer in the air. As a matter of fact, since security seems that important to you, you might want to consider staying in the plane and not going back to the US.

Oh, and of course don't dive, there are about 90 scuba deaths reported each year worldwide since 1980. :wink:

I would rather be CAVITY searched than become airborne vapor in the case of a bombing.
More power to you, I guess I'm not that sexually liberated.
Careful what you wish for, though… I never thought the day would come when I'd have to take my shoes off in an airport.

While I totally disagree with your point of view, I wish you a great holiday.

...your illogical rant...

There is a lot of illogical ranting in this thread, especially from people who claim that searches are paramount to sexual assaults. Unbelievable stuff. These peope need to take a giant "chill pill" and pay a visit to their shrink.

I would rather be CAVITY searched than become airborne vapor in the case of a bombing.
The hysteria on one side of this discussion has been nicely matched by the illogic on the other side. Nobody is choosing death over being searched--it's a false dichotomy.

Private businesses can require whatever they want for entry. Many nightclubs require a pat down for weapons to get in. Don't want it? Go home.
Yes, I remember--I used to be a regular in NYC clubs. What does that have to do it with the actions of the TSA, which is an arm of Homeland Security?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom