TSA got you down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Seriously, people are all complaining about how bad TSA is and comparing it to other countries, what I want to know is How effective were other countries' security when they FIRST STARTED. Rome wasn't built in a day folks.
So, why not learn from those who have experience and quit wasting time with all the BS and repeating the mistakes others already have learned. Because it has nothing to do with security. It's a dog and pony show, making the appearance of doing something, paying low wages to pretty much inept people who as mentioned before, probably couldn't get a job with a real security firm or LE.

Therefore you need to register your address, your religious affiliation, your family history, all your relations, all criminal offenses. And carry all of that on a card with an RFID chip which OMG can be read from across the room by Big Brother! Oh wait they have all that information already

You will not see that in Israel.

This summer (TLV) it took us about 20 minutes from entering the building to the time we entered Dan lounge in the terminal.

...my attitude will generally be reflective of the people I deal with. If I get a smile I would most likely smile back. If I get an attitude I would most likely give some as well for my own psychological well being (nobody wants to be a door matt)....

Brilliant observation. I was going to say the same thing. If you have problems with the way you are treated by TSA, then look in the mirror for the problem.

Brilliant observation. I was going to say the same thing. If you have problems with the way you are treated by TSA, then look in the mirror for the problem.

This scenario applies to a small percentage of occurrences IMO (and limited experience) but does apply to some.

I have watched as families and businessmen alike were berated because someone ahead of them gave attitude. This should be unacceptable in any profession.

My observation is if:

I had a mundane job as theirs, my attitude will generally be reflective of the people I deal with. If I get a smile I would most likely smile back. If I get an attitude I would most likely give some as well for my own psychological well being (nobody wants to be a door matt).

If I searched a thousand people a day, I still don't think I would get my jollies from my job. That would not be where I would look for that kind of fulfillment :D

If I had to deal with people who just refuse to understand and appreciate the rules that have been applied just so they can argue with me (a lowly security guy) and hold up the rest of the line. I would not have a good attitude towards my job so excuse me for not being partuclarly pleasant.

Now that the lines are getting longer because of people who do not want to cooperate. I look back and see endless lines of people who are now getting frustrated because of the longer than necessary lines. The longer the lines get the more annoyed and unpleasant the people I am dealing with are getting. - It is snowballing.

Then I realize that the next person I pat down might simply want to bomb the Security checkpoint I was manning and not the planes or terminals I was trying to secure. Oh no. This job is beginning to look risky as well.

This job is really beginning to suck.

I think I will go see if their is an opening at the Burger King near my house.

Doc Harry:

I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis on the individual level.
But the issue at stake is not TSA agents per se. They are employees applying rules. Actually, I doubt many of them are thrilled about the new regulation.

The problem lies with the rules and regulations themselves. They're, at the very least, an inconvenience for the travelers, an extra task-load for the TSA agents, and an extra expense for the taxpayers.

Question is, are they effective ? Useful ? Acceptable ? Worth it ?
So far, I haven't seen/read anything that would convince me that they make any sense as far as security goes.

So until I do, I'll keep on thinking that this whole stuff is a smoke screen and/or just another way to use people's fears to get them to pay for (useless for us, but profitable for a few) "security systems".

So if that's the case, let's do it the israeli way.

-Lets have people walking around airports with automatic weapons.
-30 second interrogations of your kids while you're not present (see: post a few pages back about someone's family experience in Israel).
-Curbside checks that you are a ticketed passenger, no non ticketed family memebers allowde inside.
-Racial profiling. Meaning if you're white and from the midwest? You're likely to be an anti-government militant so you get extra questioning.
-Government IDs, because how else are they going to profile you? Therefore you need to register your address, your religious affiliation, your family history, all your relations, all criminal offenses. And carry all of that on a card with an RFID chip which OMG can be read from across the room by Big Brother! Oh wait they have all that information already.

But hey, they won't touch your junk.

Seriously, people are all complaining about how bad TSA is and comparing it to other countries, what I want to know is How effective were other countries' security when they FIRST STARTED. Rome wasn't built in a day folks.

Wouldn't only then we be comparing apples to apples?

If I understand you correctly, scans and pat downs are ok because it gives a layer of security and safety you see as understandable and necessary. So if it's all in the name of safety, what is wrong with profiling, as long as it's in the name of security? If scans and pat downs are ok I don't see why you would disagree with profiling. If I interpret you incorrectly I apologize.

Is anyone else out there finding the draconian methods being employed by the TSA to be curbing their dive travel? I just canceled a dive trip to Bonaire so that I wouldn't have to submit to state authorized sexual molestation.

Oh, for Pete's sake!! What do you have that is so special? I hate sounding so strong, but I have had this conversation a lot lately. I would rather be CAVITY searched than become airborne vapor in the case of a bombing.

It's unfortunate that air travel has come to this, I was really looking forward to a couple of big trips I was starting to plan, including Galapagos and Sharm El Sheik.

It came down to this because of the actions of terrorists. Remember 911? How about shoe and undie bombers?

Now, I'm just going to be limited to where I can get to by car or maybe train.

Your choice.

I'm sure some would question letting such "trivia" keep me from going where I want, but from my perspective, I'm not willing to let politicians, who don't even have to submit to these procedures they're forcing on us, and manufacturers of unproven equipment, make my life hell so someone can make a buck.

Of course they sumbit to searches. However, many fly in private planes and don't have to be searched. Even pilots and flight attendants go through it.

I don't believe any of these reactionary rules have much to do with safety or security, frankly.

Do a search on the numbers of weapons seized by TSA in the past. Who cares to wait to see if they had any intention to use these weapons.

Tomorrow (27th) I am leaving for a month in the Philippines (a long swim). I will be going via S. Korea (hope N. Korea doesn't shoot us down). I will gladly submit to whatever they feel is necessary.

In general, a law enforcement officer needs reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime before he performs a pat-down.

Private businesses can require whatever they want for entry. Many nightclubs require a pat down for weapons to get in. Don't want it? Go home.

Actually, I hope all of you dissenters boycott flying. My flight tomorrow was fully booked to Korea. I hope most of the people have decided to stay home because of the fear of "molestation"!! More room for me to stretch out.

Actually, I hope all of you dissenters boycott flying. My flight tomorrow was fully booked to Korea. I hope most of the people have decided to stay home because of the fear of "molestation"!! More room for me to stretch out.

When I flew to ICN last November I had plenty of room to stretch. Asiana 747 seat 1A is very comfortable :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom