TS /Hurricane Dolly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sooo, we seem to have a bit of turbulent weather in our midst. I got to ponderin, based on her projected path, will she do anything to the Texas Clipper. The Speigal Grove was set upright by a storm a few years back. Could we be as fortunate????

Who knows? They are currently predicting landfall somewhere between northern Mexico all the way up to Corpus Christi. Pretty big target right now, but Port Isabel is pretty close to the center of that area. Those meteorologists like to give themselves plenty of leeway. :D

Sooo, we seem to have a bit of turbulent weather in our midst. I got to ponderin, based on her projected path, will she do anything to the Texas Clipper. The Speigal Grove was set upright by a storm a few years back. Could we be as fortunate????

I don't think that there is much of a chance that the Clipper will be righted. I know the Speigel Grove was righted but those odds have to be once in million years. From the videos I have seen the Clipper was listing before she was sunk so even if it doesn't get moved around I don't think there is a very good chance that it will be righted.

Consider a couple things here... the Grove had been sunk for a few years. At least long enough for the currents to dig the sand out from under it and create a trench for it to roll into.

The Clipper hasn't been down that long. The hurricane that rolled the Grove was BIG. This one will barely be a cat 1.

Is the Clipper lying perpendicular to how the surge would be running to get it started rolling?

TwoBit

Glad to see I'm not the only one who pondered the possibility. Granted, what happened to the grove was against extreme odds, but it did happen. Will it happen again with the Clipper? I personally doubt it, but only the one who created the storm knows for sure.

I hope the artificial reef Clipper stays as is.

Consider a couple things here... the Grove had been sunk for a few years. At least long enough for the currents to dig the sand out from under it and create a trench for it to roll into.

TwoBit

Well we could head out there with shovels and doubles and get the job done! Come on DIWMITs!!!!!

One thing Dolly has me pondering is heading to higher ground. Anyone up for diving Travis Weds or Thurs? I have never dived fresh water, so I figured now is my chance. Who's up for it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom