Truk Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Am leaving for Truk Lagoon staying at the Truk Stop hotel. Anyone been there and what can I expect for the diving there?

Thank's

John

Mix of cloudy & sunny days for the past week-and-a-half over the lagoon; water temp a constant 28deg C; some light wind & small surface chop in the afternoon; viz around 12 to 18m with good water clarity (lots of krill in the water -no mantas yet seen feeding though).

And of course the fish & invertebrate life on the wrecks are fantastic as usual:)!

Have fun (and regards to your charming daughter there interning at the Truk Stop Hotel!). . .

You can expect ship wrecks, a lots of them! :) Lots of deep diving, but also some good shallow wrecks. Seems to me the deeper ones are in better condition, as the shallower ones have more coral growth etc. The Shinkoku (sp?) was a nice shallow one and great for a night dive. The San Fransico was my favorite, but very deep. It was a long deco stop.

Definitely use a computer when diving there. Bring a good light, follow your dive master and pay close attention to their briefings. It's hot, so try to get a boat with shade, or bring a big hat!

We stayed at the Blue Lagoon, and typically did 2 dives per day. Some of the boat rides were longer than others, but not usually more than 20 minutes. We focused on diving the wrecks and didn't do any reefs or shark dives.

I'll be there in 12 days!!! Can't wait, but we're staying at the Blue Lagoon.

Seems like lots of people are heading to Truk. I'll be on the Odyssey next week!

It seems like a long time since my trip to Truk. I returned on September 27-28 and really miss the perfect days I spent there. The diving there was incredible and I was able to dive on numerous Japanese wrecks and do a little shark diving to keep my excitement at peak.

To make it more memorable, I was diving under the watchfull eye of my dive buddy and dive guide, my daughter, Maddison, who was there working with Kelvin and AnnaBell who helped make my trip there something I will never forget, they are truly special people.

As to the diving, you could spend months out there and never be satisfied that you have "seen it all", there is soo much to see there that you will be always wanting to go again, from from warships to transports to airplanes to sharks, there is always something new to discover.

I would love to return some day and do more as you would never get bored with all there is to see there, both above and below the water line.

As you can probably tell, I had an incredible time there!!

Hey gang,

I will finally get to the South Pacific for at least a week of diving sometime in February or March. The top 2 places on my list are Truk (Chuuk) and the Yasawa islands of Fiji. Looking for some feedback to help me pick one over the other.

I am an avid U/W photographer (aren't we all?) and well seasoned with wreck diving but I want to dive unspoiled reefs and walls as well.

Money is tight, what I have I am willing to spend on diving (4-to-5 per day is my typical agenda). Lodging can be rustic but not disgusting.

Suggestions / Recommendations?

Hey gang,

I will finally get to the South Pacific for at least a week of diving sometime in February or March. The top 2 places on my list are Truk (Chuuk) and the Yasawa islands of Fiji. Looking for some feedback to help me pick one over the other.

I am an avid U/W photographer (aren't we all?) and well seasoned with wreck diving but I want to dive unspoiled reefs and walls as well.

Money is tight, what I have I am willing to spend on diving (4-to-5 per day is my typical agenda). Lodging can be rustic but not disgusting.

Suggestions / Recommendations?
If you would like to see abundant beautiful & colorful soft corals and fish life, go to Fiji.
If you would like to see fish life, beautiful & colorful soft corals adorning sixty-six year old WWII Japanese Transport Wrecks with interesting cargo artifacts --go to Truk Lagoon:

ScubaBoard Gallery - Coral Montage: The Wrecks of Truk Lagoon
ScubaBoard Gallery - Coral Montage 2: Truk Lagoon Wrecks
ScubaBoard Gallery - Stern 6 in. Gun
ScubaBoard Gallery - At the Bow, Fujikawa Maru
ScubaBoard Gallery - Cruising the Companionway at 50' deep. . .

There is a shop trip going to Truk in October/November of 2011 which I'm considering on going on.

is this a good time to visit the area? from the link below it looks like a great time but numbers only tell you so much...

Best time to Dive in Truk Lagoon - Dive Fish Snow Travel

I'm really interested in wreck diving (although I haven't done any) and while Palau is no.1on my list there are no trips this year with my store, so I thought this might be an acceptable second place :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom