TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly the japanese collected a large number of bones from recreational depths in the ?80's and cremated them on shore.

This was in response to people moving the bones around for photo opportunities.

There’s still many more remains in the boats, especially in the deeper wreaks.

There are plenty of skulls and bones on alot of the wrecks the japanese did go and collect as many as they could, but as they only went to 40 meters there are still alot left deeper,they burnt the bones in a shinto ceromony performed at the blue lagoon, alot of the survivors make the pillgremage back each year to pay respects to there fallen comrades, i have alot of pics and video of remains but will not post them.
If this is the type of thing you would like to see ask your guide and he will find at least 1 skull for you, they hide them on the shallower wrecks. The dive that shook me up a little was inside the aikoko engine room, it is packed with human remains, some still in clothing such as bones coming out of shoes. Its a sobering experience to see/be where so many people spent there last seconds of life. 1600 men lost there lives on the aikoko alone. My personal feeling is to leave them alone, i talked about this with the guides and they agreed but also said they hide the shallow ones because they have seen scum try and remove teeth as souvigners!!
The attack was entirely from air, only 2 american craft where lost, 1 of which went into 2nd hold of the aikoko which was acting as a troop transport but also had amunition. The plane hit the hold with the ammo, the wreck is amazing, looking as tho it was cut in half with a knife, the front completly gone the back in pretty good condition. Not a single person from this ship survived.

This is from one of the operating rooms.

_MG_8149.jpg

Does anyone know how many ships we sunk in the raid on Truk Lagoon and what was the Japanese death toll? I heard 20 ships sunk and as many as 63 ships sunk? I also read a while back that they lost 1500 people on one ship, a troop ship?

I'll have those answers when my ordered books get here the end of the week but was curious if any of you history buffs knew?

Diver Dennis:

That is super cool. I had a bit of trouble reading that informative plaque pic that you were nice enough to supply. I got 62 wrecks, Feb 1944? Hope to see that plaque in person in a few months.

Is Truk one of your #1 places to have dove?

There are still undiscovered or lost wrecks still in the lagoon, earlier this year or last year a 2 new ones where discovered using a side scan sonar. 1 was dived and was in pristine condition the bell was still on it, but word quickly spread of the new wreck and by the end of the next day the bell had been taken.
The 2nd new wreck has not been dived and the location remains a secret.
IMHO this is the best wreck dive destination in the world within rec depths, while still interesting for technical divers with the nice deep ones and some challenging penetraions :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom