TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sucks you wernt taken there what liveabord where you on?

I was on the original Ocean Hunter, now called OH 1

Seadeuce

Thats odd I was on that boat, cert lvl of divers was not raised as a issue.
Who where your crew? what did you think of it overall?

Yes PF, I have to say that is one of the best places. I have not done a lot of wreck dives so I was very impressed with the variety there.

Hi PF,
I'm also an ex-marine and will be going to Truk & Yap in Feb. This will be my first time in Truk and we'll be diving from the Odyssey: http://www.TrukOdyssey.com. For your information they have a stateroom just for one single diver. I don't "beleive" there is any extra charge for this one particular stateroom but I could be wrong.

I was in Palau & Yap in Feb, 03 and also did a liveaboard (Palau Aggressor) while in Palau. Again dive certification was not an issue. We dived all the popular sites and the crew were "experts" at picking us up in the water. We had a guided tour of Orange Beach at Peleliu. It was also very emotional. Those that chose to take the tour were free to do so and those that would rather dive, did. You should not miss a chance to go to Palau if you have one.

This will be my second trip to Yap and also to MRBR . These guys are exeptional to say the least. Mike I don't beleive you were the photo pro back then. The one that was there happened to be with us when we dropped right down on top of 3 Tiger Sharks that had just killed a Manta and were feeding. Talk about bad timing, they were not happy to see us.:)

PF, enjoy Truk whom ever you decide to dive with and when you get to Yap go up to the bartender and identify yourself as Pilot Fish and there wil be a nice cold one waiting for you on me. :)

Diver Dennis:
Yes PF, I have to say that is one of the best places. I have not done a lot of wreck dives so I was very impressed with the variety there.

That is so good to hear. The Blue Lagoon has not gotten back to my travel agent with the confirmation yet, which is making me nervous. My Yap portion is all confirmed.

Hey, fellow grunt :)

Damn, wish you could go in March. If I don't hear back from Blue Lagoon with a confirmation soon I might be on a liveaboard. Single cabins are only given out when they are underbooked, I think?

Is orange beach where Marines hit the beach in the battle? I would love to go to Palau but not sure I'll be ale to this trip. It seems a shame not to go, since I'm so close, but as it is I'll be gone over 3 weeks. Was there any US battle gear still there?

A cold one waitng at Manta Ray Hotel Bar? Make it sparkling water, never drink when I dive. :) Will PM you, Jim

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim Kerr:
Hi PF,
I'm also an ex-marine and will be going to Truk & Yap in Feb. This will be my first time in Truk and we'll be diving from the Odyssey: http://www.TrukOdyssey.com. For your information they have a stateroom just for one single diver. I don't "beleive" there is any extra charge for this one particular stateroom but I could be wrong.

I was in Palau & Yap in Feb, 03 and also did a liveaboard (Palau Aggressor) while in Palau. Again dive certification was not an issue. We dived all the popular sites and the crew were "experts" at picking us up in the water. We had a guided tour of Orange Beach at Peleliu. It was also very emotional. Those that chose to take the tour were free to do so and those that would rather dive, did. You should not miss a chance to go to Palau if you have one.

This will be my second trip to Yap and also to MRBR . These guys are exeptional to say the least. Mike I don't beleive you were the photo pro back then. The one that was there happened to be with us when we dropped right down on top of 3 Tiger Sharks that had just killed a Manta and were feeding. Talk about bad timing, they were not happy to see us.:)

PF, enjoy Truk whom ever you decide to dive with and when you get to Yap go up to the bartender and identify yourself as Pilot Fish and there wil be a nice cold one waiting for you on me. :)

Mike Veitch:
I will take the beer no problem....

In fact, anyone who wants to come here... i prefer rum....

:D

Watch, there will be a few imposters claiming to be Pilot Fish to get a free cold one on Jim Kerr. Jim, we'll have to work out a code? :)

Mike, Rum for some photo tips? Sounds like a good exchange.

"Hyperbaric Chamber
A hyperbaric chamber now exists on Weno, the capital island of Truk Lagoon. Divers exploring the world famous Truk Lagoon can be assured that a professional and safe recompression facility is right on site.
The six-man dual lock chamber is recognized by DAN and equipped with overboard oxygen dumps, a medical lock, horizontal benches and an infrared communications system "
Is this accurate, Truk divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom