Truck rental Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ministryofgiraffes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
anyone have any good suggestions for truck rental on bonaire...there seem to be end of horror stories regarding reservations being cancelled/confirmed reservations not being honoured, high pressure upgrade tactics, surprise extra insurance costs when you have already agreed to full coverage, absurd smallprint etc.etc.

I'm basically looking for a 'been to bonaire xxx times, always use xxx, never heard a bad thing said about them...etc.etc.'

i'm getting a little frustrated when trying to get a quote for full insurance and seeing 'we will quote you that when you arrive'......

tnx :)

I used hertz at the airport last year. Nothing exciting to report. The attendant didn’t try to up sell me or anything. I got an Isuzu and that was that. Don’t remember if I got any extra insurance but overall everything went smoothly.

Can you confirm you have tried all these Steve and can vouch for them? Avis at the airport is allegedly one of the primary villains in the ‘you appear to know how to TAKE the reservation...the problem is that you appear not to know how to HOLD the reservation’ i’ve had 4 direct ‘do not use’ reports of showing up with confirmed reservations only for there to be no trucks available and a ‘not our problem, go elsewhere’ response from the desk.., so i’m Looking for some confirmed balance...

I was initially sceptical that it may be a competitor falsely badmouthing, but I spoke to two of them and the issues were clearly valid..after showing up to Venezuela 2 years ago at 11pm with 3 kids and having the same issue, I am hyper sensitive to it :)

I’m usually a ‘pay now to guarantee’ guy...but it appears that this Avis franchise doesn’t allow that...which is immediately suspicious to me...

Been to bon lifts times

Rented from AB first time. Got the "you put a new dent (on the old dent routine) you owe us $x." First and only time, no new knowledge.

Rented from everts. Brand spanking new truck. No problems at all with the process except I spent the whole 2 weeks worrying about that damn truck. And the inspected with a fine toothed comb.

Both these were a long time ago - early 90s mAybe.

We settled on Telerin (Poppy) for many years. Trucks were usually beaters. Got one one year with s mesh tailgate - hated that. Thereafter i specified i wanted a truck with working tailgate and always got one. Never a problem with email/quotes, though I've seen reports of slow/no response. I've also heard, don't know, that she has upgraded her fleet. As far as what-you-think vs what-you-wind-up paying, alwAys an exact match to what I asked for. And the best pickup/drop off arrangement going. She was also one of the few to accept Amex if you wanted to use it for their insurance. We rented many times from her with never a hitch. The trucks were beaters so nobody cared or even checked for new scratches/dents on top of the old ones.

After a hiatus from bon for 4 years we're back now. We rented thru Back To Basic because our accommodation has an arrangement with them. Trucks are ok, semi beater but good tires. We were quoted a price without full insurance, and a $/day price for adding full. When doing the paperwork they asked if I wanted full, and added it to the bill. the bill was what I expected. Can't report on the return yet, but the whole deal seemed odd to me. Marco from BTB met us outside arrivals as normal, then we drove off the airport grounds to the area by the fence. He said they couldn't do business on airport property. Strange. We sat and did the paperwork, and I paid via credit card (5% upcharge), but that is not unusual on bon, though I don't remember it being disclosed. We're supposed to meet him Saturday at noon by the fence and be dropped off at the airport. All is well so far.

Except for the first time with AB we always get full insurance. If/when we return to bon we'll probably book with poppy, though nothing wrong with BTB thus far.

Obviously my info is very dated, but there ya go, our real-life experiences.

Inexpensive full coverage insurance and inexpensive upgrade to automatic transmission. Dive package isn’t bad but only one locale for refills. AB Car Rental Bonaire: the only carrental with ZERO deductible

I second the vote for AB. I like to get the full insurance also. Don't inspect the truck when picking it up or dropping it off.

Plus, we've had a few minor issues that they resolved for us immediately. One was a broken power steering line (salt air corrosion). They just said take this new truck.

Can you confirm you have tried all these Steve and can vouch for them?
No (obviously), we used Budget and it was a non-event also. I don't remember the details except it was a pretty nice truck.

If you happen to be considering Buddy Dive -they have their own renal fleet.Their trucks seemed a little nicer/newer than some.

Someone posted here recently that Telerin rents residents vehicles not being used when they're off island - not sure if that's right.

19 trips to Bonaire...I've used AB (scammed me about a spare tire that was never there), Poppy (crap truck also with a net tailgate, battery kept dying) and Budget. Budget wins out and we have been using them consistently for 10+ years with zero issue.

Except for our first trip, on which we got our truck with Buddy Dive's dive-and-drive package, we have used Telerin (Marcolva "Poppy" Henriquez) because her price is consistently the lowest and they accept Amex, which allows us to use Amex's $25/week insurance. As well documented here, Telerin's trucks are rarely in new condition. But they generally work fine--never had a non-functional tailgate. Our only hiccup with Telerin was the time we had a flat tire at night and found the rusty jack and tools too difficult to use, so we called for service, and Poppy promptly dispatched a replacement truck. The hiccup came after we had returned home and found she had initially tried to charge us for a new rim, accusing us of having driven on the rim with a flat tire. After protesting that we had not driven on it any more than necessary to pull off to the side of the road, and that perhaps the repair guy had driven on it after that, Poppy withdrew the charge. Being accused left a bad taste in my mouth, but we continued to use Telerin on subsequent trips and have not had a problem since, perhaps because we now make it a habit to check the condition of the jack, tools and spare tire. I believe there is a discount for repeat customers. To me, the old beater truck is part of the Bonaire experience. Also, you can't beat the convenience: Telerin has the truck there waiting for you in the parking lot, just steps from where you walk outside the terminal. Drop off is the same: leave the car in the parking lot and walk into the terminal.

Back
Top Bottom