Troy Springs this Sat. 1-3-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of us are going up to Troy Springs Sat. morning hopefully arriving at 9am. I was told it cost $10 to dive. I've never been there but I hear it's nice. Of course every one is invited. Also if any one has been there and would like to share their experiences that would be a big help.

Chuck

Chuck-
HarleyDiver & I have dived there. It is a loooooong walk down to the platform. If you can, bring a wagon to tote your stuff. Platform is kind of small, but very sturdy with 2 stairways to the water. Not a very confined cavern, pretty interesting for a close dive. A very nice dive, and don't forget to go out the spring run to find the remains of the Madison. One LDS in Branford, but the guy is "eccentric". Don't touch his dog. If you go out Hwy. 27 from G-ville, you'll pass Suwannee American Cement- that's where I work. A very good restaurant is The Gathering in Branford- stop and ask for directions. Great food, cheap.

Thanks for the advice Kurt.
So it's a hike-a-dive? Any sherpas out there?
And thanks for the warning about the guys dog. I don't feel like becoming a one armed diver.

Is Troy Springs a one tank or two tank dive?

Sorry I had to leave early Sat. Would have enjoyed the cookout. But I did pick up some apre' dive fashion ideas.....NOT!

Chuck

SmokeAire:
Thanks for the advice Kurt.
So it's a hike-a-dive? Any sherpas out there?
And thanks for the warning about the guys dog. I don't feel like becoming a one armed diver.

Is Troy Springs a one tank or two tank dive?

Sorry I had to leave early Sat. Would have enjoyed the cookout. But I did pick up some apre' dive fashion ideas.....NOT!

Chuck

Troy can be a one-tank dive but we did two. The only way to the platform is a zig-zag handicap access ramp, and it is a back and forth nightmare when hauling gear.

I enjoyed meeting you as well. As for the fashion ideas, well... :buggy:

Its not that bad. Just suit up and walk down. Be sure to swim out into the run and check out the wreck. It's still $5 per diver, and maybe $2 per car as well, depending on how you interpret the sign. Honor system, so bring exact change. I think Ive had enough of Troy for now, personally.

Here are some pics from my dive there last friday - http://northfloridadiver.net/media/troy1203.htm

Nice photos. Is the water really that green?
Chuck

How good would Troy be for non-cave/cavern cert divers? I have the Deloach book, its at home somewhere, but cant recall if it is one of those places where it would be best or you would get so much more out of it by being cave/cavern?

simbrooks:
How good would Troy be for non-cave/cavern cert divers? I have the Deloach book, its at home somewhere, but cant recall if it is one of those places where it would be best or you would get so much more out of it by being cave/cavern?

I am OW only, and it was no problem. You'd enjoy it if you haven't been there before. Give it a try.

We (GF and i) are constantly looking for new places to dive and to try to make good day/weekend trips from. I think it is a bit of a hike from Orlando, that is why i would like to know if there is a variety of things to do, if there is that much to do for non-cavers. Thanks for the info, might consider it some time in the coming future.

simbrooks:

I have been involved with doing Open Water Check Out Dives at Troy. We have to be a little creative to keep the student from going deep, but for a certified diver it should not be a problem.

I have not taken any of my own students there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom