Trouble in my openwater course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasdeva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is perhaps a bit long and mostly posted to vent and perhaps get a little perspective.

I decide to go Scuba Diving. I have wanted to dive for a long time and the finances and personal situation was all good for it. I don't have any friends that dive so I start searching for a training school. Eventually I picked one that would include inland and coastal dives for its qualifying dives. I live in Johannesburg and it is common practice to certify new divers in one of the local quarries. I am not comfortable with that notion and made sure my course would include a trip to the coast.

I book the course and my lectures start in a weeks time. I am a prodigious reader, researcher and spend hours and hours researching everything around diving. Being a bit of a math head this includes decompression theory, bubble models and the physics of diving.

Armed with a million questions I walk into my first lecture excited to learn everything I can. Imagine my disappointment when the first thing the instructor says starting the lecture is : "Please don't ask me hard questions". The book is covered and nothing else. I try several times to get a deeper understanding of some of the course work but every time the question falls even slightly out of the recreational diving domain I am told "That is Tech diving, you don't want to do that."

These questions were not unreasonable, I got the canned answer for daring to ask what the difference was when diving between a BP/W setup versus a traditional BCD.

Being disappointed with the lectures I just sucked it up and told myself that I will pursue enlightenment in the theory of diving some other route.

I arrive for my first pool session. The instructor is and hour and a half late... Some of her cylinders have missing o-rings and she arrived without spare o-rings. I am not happy, drink my water, keep my mouth shut and wait for the chaos to settle. Eventually after nearly expiring from heatstroke in my wetsuit we make it to the pool.

We must do the swim test. 200 meters in my wetsuit with no weights. I splutter. Having done my research I know that the agency she is representing requires the swim without a suit and its 300 meters. I breeze through it, I had spend many hours in the pool at the gym making sure my swimming skills are on par. Next is the float/tread water. What! Only 5 minutes with the wet suit still on? I say nothing and bob around bored. This cannot be good.

The mask removal, regulator recovery is pretty standard and once underwater the instructor does run the drill reasonably well. Next we are off the the deep end to practice the drills at the bottom of the pool. There is no explanation of buoyancy, BCD workings, just: "Deflate your BCD and go to the bottom.". Being seriously overweighted I plummet to the bottom and hurt my ears trying to equalize, breath, not fall over and staying calm. I ace the drills. Two students are now stuck at the top in the shallow end of the pool. The descent was too much for them and they are too scared to continue. Private sessions are arranged with them and they leave. We cover the rest of the drills, pretty standard. I found copies of the instructor training materials online once I realised that the training may not be up to par. I am now reviewing my pool sessions in the evening to make sure the material is covered

Next pool session the next day. The instructor is late again (at least an hour) and arrives with a discover scuba class in tow. She is going to do both our open water sessions and the discover scuba pool sessions at the same time.

It is chaos. Two groups, one that has no lectures to prepare them and never seen scuba gear before, the other with me in, frothing at the mouth having to now hang around while they are kitted up. Oh, she has no o-rings again, borrows a cylinder from one of the other dive schools and manages to get everyone into the pool with air on their backs. We are now doing BCD removal and replacing, buddy breathing etc. The whole time she is visiting the discover scuba crowd to make sure they are not drowning and swimming back to us to see if we are fine. She covers all the pool drills, well almost, no tired diver tow. I go home with an earache, a headache and elevated blood pressure.

Open water dive 1: At the quarry.

She is two hours late. Arrives with empty cylinders, one still has an o-ring missing. Get them filled and kit checked out. We go snorkelling, good fun, not much that can go wrong.

We get out and kit up for the first dive. I am so excited, regardless of the situation, and have an absolute blast in 3 meter (10 feet) viz at 15 meters (50 feet). I was born to do this. I had sorted my weighting out by myself in the meantime and studied buoyancy theory and watched every youtube video I could find. I have a 7 liter AL cylinder, one of the odd ones that she dragged there, no idea why, but thats what I was given. It is nearly half the size of an AL80 so I burn through it in 18 minutes and the dive ends.

I am stoked. That was awesome. We have late lunch. Time for the second dive. Guess what, the compressor room is now closed because it is late in the afternoon and the second dive is now canned. I just get in my car and go home. I am now committed to just finishing this course and never seeing them again. We arrange a dive for yesterday morning to catch up. I wake up, my phone rings its the dive instructor, dive cancelled, something came up. I took leave to do that dive... leave that I will now spend at home wondering how I chose this outfit. An extra coastal dive is arranged for the weekend to cover the drills. That’s an extra sea dive, I can live with that.

I am leaving for Sodwana (Tropical reef dive site) tomorrow morning. I have four dives left with this outfit and I think I will have to redo my OW1.

Aside from the general training disasters I am comfortable with the instructor in the water. She is diligent about keeping us close, checking air and making sure we are safe. To be honest, with a regulator in her mouth, submerged, she is an excellent instructor. The rest the class did not survive the pool sessions so there is only four of us getting qualified making the instructor to student ratio at least safe.

My bags are packed, lets hope my instructor arrives...

If all goes well, I will post the results, otherwise you may see me hanging around “Near misses and lessons learned”

No. Unfortunately, not amazing. I have heard this tale before. I'm sorry, OP. There are really good classes out there. You, however, definitely did not have one.

Out of curiosity ... did you get the course at a good price? I don't know how it works in SA, but in the USA a lot of dive shops will offer discounted classes as a way to get customers in the shop. Unfortunately, you almost always get what you pay for ... and since they didn't make any money selling the class, they cut corners.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kasdeva, unfortunately, you are so far out on the end of the bell-shaped curve of scuba students that your OW class just doesn't suit you (although it sounds as though there are major problems with it for anyone). The standard OW class is designed to fit the lowest common denominator -- the person without a lot of mathematical or science background, and who is presumed to have done the absolute minimum of preparation (read the textbook) before his class. People like you and me just don't fit into that model very well.

Unfortunately, the easy routes I could recommend for better training aren't available in your area. I tried to do some research for you on the second tier, which would be shops that include an active technical component, preferably not DSAT, but I didn't get very far. But if you are going to consider either re-doing your OW class or doing some diving con ed, I'd definitely recommend discussing with the shops you contact whether they do any technical instruction, or whether they have any instructors with some technical training.

It's not that a technically trained instructor is NECESSARY for an OW course -- but someone like you will appreciate and benefit from someone who has had some education in this sport beyond what is covered in anyone's recreational diving curriculum (with the exception of agencies that aren't accessible to you).

I'm glad I refreshed this page before I posted. As usual Lynn, you hit the nail on the head. I was going to recommend he find a qualified technical diver. You already did the research for him. Good for you.

Look on the bright side, you started diving, you love it, you're probably going to be really good at it. Think of the OW class as just a less-than-ideal beginning.

Don't run off to technical classes yet, just do some diving. You seem like a very self-motivated person and its possible the best teacher for you for a little while might be yourself, or some more experienced dive buddies that can give you some guidance. When you do get a few dives under your belt, the technical/cave instructors in general will tend to have higher standards and stronger dive skills. IN GENERAL, there are lots of exceptions on both sides of the issue.

Its far worse to read about someone who had a hard time with the skills, was uncomfortable in the water, etc...in your case, I can see being annoyed and bored, but at least you're not crying because you couldn't stop a panic attack when you take your mask off.

Have a great time diving!

You know, according to this post, I am not concerned as much by the OP's exuberance and research, as I am by the poor professionalism shown- always late, poor equipment, not being prepared to teach, and the big combining of a discovery class with an OW pool session. I have issues with all of that.

As an instructor, if you are asking me for higher level information than is appropriate at that class, I will tell you to hold onto that thought and wait after class. I will explain and answer your questions then. Perhaps class time wasn't appropriate for some of your questions. I can only hope that was it. An Ow instructor better have knowledge and the ability to answer higher level diving questions. If she prefaced the course by saying not to ask "hard" questions, I would leave. That sounds pathetic.

Rereading my post I realize that it is a rant, apologies. Thank you all for your responses. I did not get this course at a discounted rate, it comes at a premium because it includes accommodation and diving at the coast. To be fair, as unprofessional as the course has been, at the end of it, I will have covered all the requirements for OW1 and have received the training I paid for. Perhaps I was hasty with my wall of text.

I have no urge to dive into technical diving, half the fun for me is the theory. As suggested, I will find a different school for my advanced and rescue training. I will also find a dive club which will hopefully satisfy my curiosity and give me an opportunity to have a lot of fun diving.

I am going to dream of the sound of my regulator tonight, tomorrow I am blowing bubbles.

Just to clarify . . . I wasn't suggesting you take technical training. I was just saying that someone with a technical education will be better able to answer your questions on decompression theory and gas management and the like, than someone whose training has been solely within the confines of a major agency recreational curriculum. They just don't go into those things in a great deal of depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom