Trouble in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmw625

Reaction score
We've been watching this too, but not worried about our Belize trip yet since we aren't going until December. Hopefully things will calm down quickly and we can all enjoy our trips there this year.

Besides the government being about broke and some disgruntled workers, the country is peaceful again. There were only a few nights in Belize City where things got a little rowdy.

We plan on going there in August so I hope everything will die down soon and the scuba community won't be affected by it.

I hope it was just our trip, but I was unimpressed by the diving in Belize.

I thought Belize City was always a bit rowdy. I stayed out of it during the nights.

Otter- Where did you dive in Belize? I found much of my experience there to be fantastic, and I've dived many places in the world.

Dr. Bill

Otter:
I hope it was just our trip, but I was unimpressed by the diving in Belize.
I just returned from my second trip to Belize, this one aboard the Aggressor. The diving might not be impressive, depending on what you compare it to, but it is better than Bonaire, Little Cayman, and Cozumel, in my opinion.

By the way, the Aggressor was recently refit and is in great shape, and the crew was the best I've had in 7 liveaboard trips.

drbill:
I thought Belize City was always a bit rowdy. I stayed out of it during the nights.

Otter- Where did you dive in Belize? I found much of my experience there to be fantastic, and I've dived many places in the world.

Dr. Bill

Dived with Peter Hughes out of Belize City.....Due to 'wind', we dove various sites at Lighthouse Reef through the week with one day at Turneffe Reef. Its wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. I don't think it is as good as Cozumel.

I fear I was jaded by Palau last year....or maybe the wind did keep us out of the better sites?

Otter:
I fear I was jaded by Palau last year....or maybe the wind did keep us out of the better sites?
My first trip to Belize (on the Nekton) we had the same problem - pinned down behind Lighthouse Reef because of the wind. We were also there when the trigger fish were mating and they drove off a lot of the other fish while they were protecting their nest.

But I went back a couple of years latter and got better weather and less hostile trigger fish. I'll be making my fourth trip there this fall. I like the fact that on most sites you can do any kind of profile you want. If you want to go deep, you can. Or if you want to piddle around at 25-30 feet and do an hour and a half dive you can do that too.

The one downside is that I've never been able to find either of the two toadfish that are unique to that area. The black and white spotted and the black and white striped. But I could hear them and I'm pretty sure they were laughing at me.
Luke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom