Trouble in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir:
I just returned from my second trip to Belize, this one aboard the Aggressor. The diving might not be impressive, depending on what you compare it to, but it is better than Bonaire, Little Cayman, and Cozumel, in my opinion.

I have to agree. I was diving in Belize in Jan this year off the Turneffe Atoll and both my wife and I thought it was better then our trips to Cozumel and Roatan. We saw just a bit of everything. We went through High Parkey's and although a bit crowded, they did a good job splitting up the group and we never ran into the others. Plus, our DM was great which always helps. Didn't have any trouble being forced up, got to come up as we please as long as we started the rise at 400-500psi.

Got back stateside last Sun. Had 2 great dives in Belize. No signs of trouble in Belize City. The locals told me about 2 weeks of no lights, water or telephones.

Mverick:
This was my experience too. A lot of cattle boats. With new divers. And not accomadating of experienced divers..... Every dive I had more then 1600psi of air when the dive ended. And was told to come up by DM's... Which ticked me off to no end. And didn't earn them a tip either...

Not to mention. Service was Horrendous at our resort. And most other places. Glass of tea shouldn't take 35minutes from when you order it...

Food was Great at Carimba's in town and Mata Chica. Which is a resort. Gotta take a boat to get there..

I don't know where you stayed & ate, but service in San Pedro is usually much better than this.

I also don't know who you dived with, but not everyone in SP runs cattle boats, or caters only for inexperienced divers. You need to look around and be discriminating. It is not difficult to find an operator which will allow you to dive as long and deep as you wish (subject to safety) and not require you to surface with a half full tank. Perhaps you just shopped around for the cheapest operator, as many do, and not surprisingly found it wasn't the best?

You never know - this can occur even if one is discriminating and corresponds for weeks in advance of one's trip, only to find things considerably different when one arrives, even when speaking directly with the individual you were corresponding with. For me, that in itself is enough not to return to a particular location or use a particular service provider. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Hello again Peter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom