Trouble in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir:
I just returned from my second trip to Belize, this one aboard the Aggressor. The diving might not be impressive, depending on what you compare it to, but it is better than Bonaire, Little Cayman, and Cozumel, in my opinion.

By the way, the Aggressor was recently refit and is in great shape, and the crew was the best I've had in 7 liveaboard trips.

Waiting on confirmation on Amergris Caye for July 8th at Ramons Village resort so I'd be interested on your thoughts on the diving there? You say it's better than Coz and Bonaire? That IS impressive.

ScubaLuke:
...snip...The one downside is that I've never been able to find either of the two toadfish that are unique to that area. The black and white spotted and the black and white striped. But I could hear them and I'm pretty sure they were laughing at me.
Luke

Ya we heard em too and could never find em. A couple of times they were REAL loud and I thought for sure they would be under the next rock....but no joy.

pilot fish:
Waiting on confirmation on Amergris Caye for July 8th at Ramons Village resort so I'd be interested on your thoughts on the diving there? You say it's better than Coz and Bonaire? That IS impressive.
In my two trips to Bonaire and one to Cozumel, I think I've seen a pretty good representation of the diving. Like Otter, I guess, I haven't seen all the diving in Belize (though I think I've seen the best of it) and I have no insight into the diving at Ambergris Caye. My first trip was to Turneffe Island Lodge. Among other sites we dove The Elbow half a dozen times, which was the highlight. The Aggressor visited sites on Lighthouse Caye, Half Moon Caye, and Long Caye (I didn't log them, but I'm pretty sure of the names), some of which were visited by the Turneffe Island Lodge as well. On the two trips combined, I have seen dolphins, hammerheads, reef sharks, toadfish, and a lot of game fish like permit, jacks, and mackerel that you don't see much elsewhere in the Caribbean. Plus the usual assortment of reef fish.
I give the Aggressor the edge in my two trips, because of a greater variety of sites and a great crew, but the Turneffe Island Lodge offers excellent land-based diving.

vladimir:
In my two trips to Bonaire and one to Cozumel, I think I've seen a pretty good representation of the diving. Like Otter, I guess, I haven't seen all the diving in Belize (though I think I've seen the best of it) and I have no insight into the diving at Ambergris Caye. My first trip was to Turneffe Island Lodge. Among other sites we dove The Elbow half a dozen times, which was the highlight. The Aggressor visited sites on Lighthouse Caye, Half Moon Caye, and Long Caye (I didn't log them, but I'm pretty sure of the names), some of which were visited by the Turneffe Island Lodge as well. On the two trips combined, I have seen dolphins, hammerheads, reef sharks, toadfish, and a lot of game fish like permit, jacks, and mackerel that you don't see much elsewhere in the Caribbean. Plus the usual assortment of reef fish.
I give the Aggressor the edge in my two trips, because of a greater variety of sites and a great crew, but the Turneffe Island Lodge offers excellent land-based diving.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll get to see some of those sites you mentioned. The resort boat from Ramon's Village must take you near those sites?

The one downside is that I've never been able to find either of the two toadfish that are unique to that area. The black and white spotted and the black and white striped. But I could hear them and I'm pretty sure they were laughing at me.
Luke
Otter:
Ya we heard em too and could never find em. A couple of times they were REAL loud and I thought for sure they would be under the next rock....but no joy.
After a week on the Belize Aggressor, I found this one with 10 minutes to go on the LAST dive of the trip at Turneffe.

Nice pic!

jakubson:
After a week on the Belize Aggressor, I found this one with 10 minutes to go on the LAST dive of the trip at Turneffe.
Well, I'm glad somebody got a shot of one. Now at least we know they're not a myth.

I'll be trying to find one again next November.
Luke

Hi Frank...My husband, myself, and 2 friends were on the Carnival Valor last week and dove in Belize one of those days. We dove with Fosters. I was unaware of any problems at all while I was there for that day and did not hear of any problems from anyone on the cruise ship that did land excursions that day either. I hope you are able to go...it was alot of fun!!!!!

Pam

Pammyk, Thanks for the update. Going to be there next Thurs. Looking forward to the dive.

Otter:
I hope it was just our trip, but I was unimpressed by the diving in Belize.

This was my experience too. A lot of cattle boats. With new divers. And not accomadating of experienced divers..... Every dive I had more then 1600psi of air when the dive ended. And was told to come up by DM's... Which ticked me off to no end. And didn't earn them a tip either...

Not to mention. Service was Horrendous at our resort. And most other places. Glass of tea shouldn't take 35minutes from when you order it...

Food was Great at Carimba's in town and Mata Chica. Which is a resort. Gotta take a boat to get there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom