Trouble breaking down my doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using 3/8 bolts from Ace Hardware and have found that the wider (than 5/16) threads are less prone to galling.

Explain to me where nylock nuts generate more heat, please. If you bolt on slowly, and finish with just enough tightness to hold your tank bands, the nylon insert shouldn't have heated up, and the bolt and nut are not bound as tightly as if you were depending upon extra torque to prevent unscrewing.
Where does this heat come from just because it's nylock? I bought all the excellent points above except #6.

Explain to me where nylock nuts generate more heat, please. If you bolt on slowly, and finish with just enough tightness to hold your tank bands, the nylon insert shouldn't have heated up, and the bolt and nut are not bound as tightly as if you were depending upon extra torque to prevent unscrewing.
Where does this heat come from just because it's nylock? I bought all the excellent points above except #6.

I have no interest in using, or explaining, nylock nuts. Since I switched to different hardness bolts and nuts I haven't experienced ANY galling what so ever. ZERO. Last VIP, after breaking, they just spun right off and right back on by hand, like Buttah. No galling.

FWIW, Joe McGrath who started Highland Millworks had some notes about the perils of using nylock nuts. I would need to do some searching but it basically warned that galling was an issue and using a lock washer an std.nut they better option. He supplied both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom