Tropical Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flying off to Maui next week and I am in need of weighting suggestions for the following:

6’ 1’’ 205
3mm Suit
Al 80 Tank
Water Temp 77 +/-

I always dive a steel tank with a 8mm suit with 18-20 lbs and aluminum is a bit foreign to me.

Let me know what you guys think on total lead needed.

Thanks,
Lee

Are you like a Hollywood 6' 1"
How many metres of neoprene are you using

The general rule of thumb here is to give 10% (20lb) of body weight as a starting point with an AL80 and 3mm wetsuit. You'll probably need much less, but you shouldn't be grossly overweighted.

I'm diving 18 pounds with a 3mm and I'm and old floater at 6 ft and 225 lbs, so if you are neutral or negative in only a swim suit in salt water, I might think about 14 - 16.

14-16, possibly 12 depending on your muscle mass. If you can't descend feet first by letting out all of your air and exhaling, you need more weight... Do not swim down, it'll only get worse at the tail end of your dive with an aluminum tank and a 3 mil suit.

I'm 5'8" and 170-175 lbs and use 16 lbs with a 5mm full suit booties and an al 80 in Maui. One of my buddies closer to your weight used 20 lbs with the exact same suit and tank.

WOW lots of different opinions.

I was thinking of renting 18 but trying 16 to start.

Using 20 sounds a bit heavy.

I use 12lbs when I dive that setup, and have no problems staying down on the swim back after a shore dive. (very shallow) I can't see how you could need over 14lbs max. Aloha, Rick

I agree 20 sounds heavy - I use 22 in a 7mm suit (gloves hood - the works) here in New England with an AL80 and a somewhat floaty BC.

Which steel tank are you using? - that will make a bit of difference. Ideally you should check your weighting when you get there but if you ADD the buoyancy difference between an empty AL80 (which is positive 1.5ish) and your tank (which could be negative who-knows-whatish) and then subtract maybe 12 - 14 pounds for lack of your heavy wetsuit (that's a guess based on how much less weight I need for tropical diving in a 3mm shorty) you should be reasonably ballpark.

My husband is 6'4" and only uses 16 pounds in a 5mm full suit diving Maui. IMO you should start with 16 pounds and adjust as necessary.

Oops, I forgot to add that he weighs 220 pounds...important bit of information. :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom