Tropical light <=$300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R10 Dive Light [LightR10] - $250.00 : Chipola Divers, Sidemount, Technical, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring

Here's a shot of it in a cave. This is at full power. It also has a reduced power which is great for night dives when you want some light but not so much you scare away the life.

r10.jpg

Hi, I have over 35 years of diving experience and have used all sorts of dive lights. For casual use it is hard to improve on the Ikelite lights, such as the PCa-LED model, compact, powerful, reasonable price and uses standard AA batteries. May I suggest avoid lights that have magnetic switches, they are unreliable and go bad easily. Also check that the light uses standaard batteries such as AA, AAA or C batteries. Avoid the CR123 batteries, they are expensive and short lived, for example the Intorva light with magnetic swith and CR123 batteries is a big disappointment.

If you really want a super torch, try an INON light, such are sold by www.[FONT=arial]uwdigitalcamera.com in Taiwan. I got one from them at a great price and it is a super light. Both narrow and wide beam models are available, and are a good investment if you plan to dive long term. Good luck![/FONT]

Call Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs. They had a Dive Rite light this past weekend that was about $200, ran on 4 AA batteries. RX6 or something like that. Had the good focus beam for signaling but enough of a wide angle for a really good side view. With common batteries you don't have to worry about is it charged or not. Used one this past weekend and was really impressed and saw no noticable dimming over four dives totaling about 4 hours bottom time. There is a reason the wife won't let me hold the credit card.

Hi, I have over 35 years of diving experience and have used all sorts of dive lights. For casual use it is hard to improve on the Ikelite lights, such as the PCa-LED model, compact, powerful, reasonable price and uses standard AA batteries. May I suggest avoid lights that have magnetic switches, they are unreliable and go bad easily. Also check that the light uses standaard batteries such as AA, AAA or C batteries. Avoid the CR123 batteries, they are expensive and short lived, for example the Intorva light with magnetic swith and CR123 batteries is a big disappointment.

If you really want a super torch, try an INON light, such are sold by www.uwdigitalcamera.com in Taiwan. I got one from them at a great price and it is a super light. Both narrow and wide beam models are available, and are a good investment if you plan to dive long term. Good luck!

This statement is simply not true as a sweeping generalization. What lights have you used with magnetic switches?

I don't totally agree with your statement about CR123 batteries either. I'm not sure what you mean by "short lived" they have a shelf life of over 10 years as such are a good choice for a back up light. The run time depends on the LED they are running. They can be had online for a few dollars each. They wouldn't be my first choice for a primary light particularly when traveling as they can be difficult to find in some far flung locations. For travel purposes I agree that AA are the best choice as they are very common.

The issue with the the Intova was not the function of the magnetic switch but the way the switch was fitted to the light. Cheers.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

Your link doesn't seem to work.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 09:14 PM ----------

I own an Inon light, it's ok. It uses 3xAA batteries with a not so great run time of just under 2hours.

$300 each is really too much. I'm glad I am born in the tech era because nowadays you can get very good lights for around $100.

I dont recommend UK -- it is like the Nokia Symbian: big brand with outdated technology and over-priced.

For day/afternoon diving, I find 800 lumen is the minimum that works best in most scenario. One-hand operation is better instead of ones that require both hands to twist the switch.

+1 DRIS 1000.

My only gripe is that it is too powerful for night dives- the thing cuts through good viz like a lightsabre. A more mellow light is more my style. As a day time torch it is excellent for peering down the back of deep overhangs and the price is right.

I use rechargeable batteries- hopefully they will eventually take the edge off the intense beam that this light puts out!

+1 DRIS 1000.

My only gripe is that it is too powerful for night dives- the thing cuts through good viz like a lightsabre. A more mellow light is more my style. As a day time torch it is excellent for peering down the back of deep overhangs and the price is right.

I use rechargeable batteries- hopefully they will eventually take the edge off the intense beam that this light puts out!

What rechargeables are you using for the DRIS 1000?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom