Tropical light <=$300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the new lights I bought, they either use 26650 (4000mah) or 18650 (3400mah) batteries.

What rechargeables are you using for the DRIS 1000?
3 x IMEDION C 1.2V 5000mAh
batteries.jpg
Charged with the MH-C808M Eight cell smart charger
MH-C808M.jpg

Hello,

The wife and I are looking to purchase two lights for our upcoming trip to Cozumel. We would like something under $300 each that works well for day dives to add the color back to the fishes and the reef at depth. Also if possible a light that works well for night dives would be a bonus. We will most likely dive day 95% of the time so that is our first major requirement. I would appreciate your recommendations.

I should also add:
We think LED for battery life but are open to any light type.
Rechargeable or not is not a must have.
Size is not a big deal as we have been using older large c4 lights.
We will never need these lights for video just for us on dives.
Sometimes the lights will be used locally (California) so would be nice if they worked in 20ft or less viz, however this is not a must have as we log 10 dives or less a year locally.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris:

We have recently introduced a small, very powerful light that should serve you well.

680 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

Thanks
Dano

M680DL-2.jpg

Attachments

• M680DL-2.jpg
    M680DL-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 132
thanks for the info how does this compare to your MAKO Underwater Photo/Video Light? Is it better to have a focused beam or a wider beam?

thanks for the info how does this compare to your MAKO Underwater Photo/Video Light? Is it better to have a focused beam or a wider beam?

Thanks for the inquiry! For diving in the day and looking in holes and under ledges, a focused light is definitely more desirable. For night diving, the benefits are not so clear, but we still recommend the 680 lumen narrow beam light.. the wide angle light is great for video, Go Pro etc.

thanks for the info luscioman, I read some of the reviews and they mentioned hard to find batteries and leaking and failing on the units. We want to have a worry free dive trip so I think we need to stick with something a little more well built/tested. Anyone have any other ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom