Tropical diving in Colorado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds great. For those of us in the Denver metropolitan area, it would cut hours off of our trips for a dive site other than the cold and murky waters in our vicinity. I just wish it could be deeper than 30 feet. If we have AOW students in our group, we would have to pass it by and keep going to the Blue Hole.

For those who don't know, the Young family knows scuba diving. Mike Young (now living in Arkansas) owns Kiss rebreathers and won an award for his sidewinder rebreather design. He is one of the best cave divers I have ever dived with.

For being so in the know of scuba diving, their current plan sure looks like a miss to me, should really reset their ambitions and goals a lot higher to widen the appeal and market of that, I agree with you John they need to go a lot deeper or all they have is a big freshwater pond with some freshwater fish, would be more profitable letting people fish it than dive it. Can't see them drawing any appreciable amount of the diving population from the front range all the way over to the San Luis valley for the current plans.

Well lots of reef dives etc do not go deeper than 30 ft. I checked the distance and it is still over 3 hours from Denver. I have family in Denver and if it were closer I might dive it a time or two but that is 7 hours of driving for me.

Seems like they're targeting open water classes. If it was close to the front range I'd probably go there regularly, just to practice and check out my gear if nothing else.

As others have said. It is a bit of a hike to get there. I might go there on occasion but round trip is a bit over 7 hours. Doable in a day but still +/- 500 miles is quite a bit of driving.

So by definition would this site be a "specifically-constructed" environment designed for scuba diving? If so you can only do Open Water Dives #1 & #2 IAW PADI's Instructor's Manual.

great idea! these colder, less visibility, places in the Denver metro area are a bit intimidating for me as a really new cert diver. (excited for any diving though, honestly.)

So by definition would this site be a "specifically-constructed" environment designed for scuba diving? If so you can only do Open Water Dives #1 & #2 IAW PADI's Instructor's Manual.

Interesting question. This constructed environment is 200 ft in diameter. Yet some of the Florida springs that are used for dive training are much less than that. I checked and Ginnie is only 100 ft across. It is possible they could request a decision from PADI or other agencies. I know that some of the PADI's rule have a clause for exceptions. A quarry is a constructed environment. Just was not originally constructed for scuba. I have seen divers getting credit for diving in a canal in the Keys when weather is bad. For that matter Jules is a constructed environment and divers get certified there.

I was thinking the same thing about jules. but maybe they set it up for the "Undersea Lodge" first? time will tell

Back
Top Bottom