Tropical Depression 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am pretty sure that everyone can agree that UG infrastructure is much better than OH for utility resilience in storms but that converting old Houston residential neighborhoods from OH to UG would be, at the very least, hideously expensive, extremely difficult, and very time consuming.

But is also the only true long-term answer. It comes down to priorities.

Remnants of Beryl prompt tornado, flood watches, warnings in Maine

I am sure that we all agree that under ground utilities are better that overhead poles and wires…just the cost to get there is a wide open variable.

But to me, the best lesson from all this is to recognize that the eye wall of ANY hurricane is to be feared and respected. It has been many years since an eye wall of a hurricane has hit downtown Cozumel like it just did Houston. And I am sure that if Beryl did, as, even a cat1, the reports you saw from us would be a lot different. Beware the eye wall and don't stress the near misses.

Dave Dillehay

I am sure that we all agree that under ground utilities are better that overhead poles and wires…just the cost to get there is a wide open variable.

But to me, the best lesson from all this is to recognize that the eye wall of ANY hurricane is to be feared and respected. It has been many years since an eye wall of a hurricane has hit downtown Cozumel like it just did Houston. And I am sure that if Beryl did, as, even a cat1, the reports you saw from us would be a lot different. Beware the eye wall and don't stress the near misses.

Dave Dillehay

Having experienced the eye wall of both Irma in 2017 and Ian in 2022, you speak true words indeed. And even at that, I too get caught in the "it's only a Cat 1" fallacy. My error and I should know better.

Beryw
We got

Remnants of Beryl came through Detroit yesterday with 24 hours of rain. My unofficial backyard rain gauge showed 4.25 inches total. That is a lot of rain in 24 hours for Detroit. Fortunately there was no serious flooding. Power outages were minimal.

As climate change worsens and these storms get more and more expensive for them, they may choose to redo that calculation. We'll see.

But is also the only true long-term answer. It comes down to priorities.
Of course, but the devil is in the details. "Priorities" of necessity include the pain and expense of conversion to UG services when it comes to much older densely packed established residential neighborhoods in Houston; it is possible that they will never be converted and their residents will just have to deal with situations like this the best they can whenever they occur. My friend in Garden Oaks just got his generator the day before yesterday; it runs on natural gas, so he will have power until he gets the grid back.

For new developments UG is of course a no-brainer.

My electricity, internet, and VOIP phone all went out for 20 minutes this morning. Fortunately, the house was cool, coffee was already made, and my cell phone was charged, but it was irritating. Going frontier style for a week or two would have me looking for an escape. Our ancestors were a tough breed.

You live in Houston; are you doing anything to help make that happen? As you know, Houston's electrical infrastructure is very old; in my friend's densely populated neighborhood the MV distribution lines and LV supply lines are on poles that are sometimes in people's back yards.

What should I do? In early June I had my four biggest trees trimmed, perhaps overtrimming the one that had branches touching power lines. I'd post pics but I'm in a motel in Schulenberg as we are still without power and cell and internet at the house.

What should I do? In early June I had my four biggest trees trimmed, perhaps overtrimming the one that had branches touching power lines. I'd post pics but I'm in a motel in Schulenberg as we are still without power and cell and internet at the house.
Sorry, I didn't mean that as a challenge, just a question. I hope the branches you were trimming were near 240/120V supply lines rather than medium voltage (~12kV) distribution lines. Years ago I knew a guy who had both arms burned off at the elbows trimming branches around MV wires.

Back
Top Bottom