Triple-L Juvi BC Buoyancy, Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
My family is going to start diving again this summer after a three-year break (moving back to the States from Europe, with resulting shortage of leave time and money :depressed:). Planning a trip to Grand Cayman in late July. Starting to get the equipment into shape now.

We got our daughter a Triple-L/ScubaL Juvi BC when she got certified back in 2005, when she was about 12. It's since been discontinued:
scubaL.com - Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment Store

She's now 17, but very slim. The Juvi seems to still fit her OK; she's not maxing out on the strap or cummerbund adjustments.

But I'm a bit concerned about buoyancy. I can't find any information as to the Juvi's specifications; it only came in XXS.

The other concern is the lack of classic ditchable weight. The Juvi has two quick-release trim pockets, and she was trimmed fine with about 2 kg there and no weight belt. As slim as she is, a weight belt would still be tough to keep on her; I know a harness would be a possibility, but seems a little extreme...

Any thoughts? We do plan on doing some pool sessions before the trip to shake things out, but that will of course be in fresh water.

OK, not having received an answer directly from ScubaL either, let me ask a different way.

How can I determine the bouyancy capacity of a BC? I'd guess fill it up with air, put it in the tub (or spa), and carefully start piling lead weights on it until it sinks?

Or is it vital at all to know the bouyancy capacity in this case?

Hi Marek

Good thing your daughter's a diver. I'm hoping mine will become a diver as well.

Why don't you fill the whole BC up with water, through the oral inflator or dump valve, and calculate the weight difference?
Difference in weight (kg) = displacement of your daughter's BC (L) = lift (kg) in fresh water
Thus, weight difference should be the same as the lift.

As for weights, if the quick release trim pockets ARE quick release, I think it's just as good as a weight belt.

Hope this helps

Kaza

You know, that would work too. Assuming I can get all the water back out, but that should be do-able with some care -- and close enough in any case. Thanks for the idea!

Regarding the weight pockets, they aren't quite classically quick-release. They're actually kind of like trim pockets, but farther to the front; and each closed with a fastex-type buckle that, when unbuckled, opens up both the top and the bottom of the pocket. So if the buckle is released, the weight will drop out the bottom of the pocket.

Like with any other weight system, she'd have to make sure any other buddy she dives with knows how the weights are set up.

Back
Top Bottom