Trip to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid:
He would prefer to dive on Maui, but if someone knows an especially good operator on one of the other islands, it's not a problem.
It's about a 50 minute drive between the two main resort areas of Maui. West Maui includes Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kahana, Napili, Kapalua.
Makena, Wailea, and Kihei make up South Maui.

Pacific Dive is in Lahaina (West Maui). B&B and Maui Dreams are in Kihei (South Maui). All three have good reputations.

One of the larger ones that shall remain unnamed, was too busy for my call, and asked me to call back or call another one of their stores. When I did, they were still too busy (probably selling t-shirts and renting crappy gear) - these guys had the best web site.

You pretty much just named them -- there's only one dive shop on Maui with more than one location... :)

I'm not sure what sites you looked at, though... I'm quite certain that their site wouldn't be the "best" by any stretch... :(

I agree with the option of doing the classroom & pool work at home before the trip for two BIG reasons.

Having been in the dive industry for many years, I see way too many people schedule a class just to come down with a cold or ear trouble, etc. and not be able to dive on their vacation as planned. It is waaaaay better to do the classroom and pool a month or so before the trip. I have also seen numerous people who wanted to get certified only to get in the pool the first day and panic. Some got over it after several additional sessions but some never got back into the water. Personally, I would rather have a crisis in front of an instructor back home that a group of experienced divers on a boat in Hawaii. (we were just there in Nov and we did see this happen to a couple who had to sit on the boat all the way back to shore with everyone staring and chatting about their panic attacks. I felt very sorry for them.)

The other reason is that then you are able to enjoy your trip more and not have to worry about the classroom part and tests. We (me, my hubby, and daughter) did it this way and really had a great time.
Plus, if you are going to Hawaii, you want some free time to explore the island and not be sitting in a classroom for hours and hours.

Just my experience!

robint

Personally, I would rather have a crisis in front of an instructor back home that a group of experienced divers on a boat in Hawaii.

Exactly. Which is yet another reason to add to the list that first-time divers don't belong on a boat. Those dives should be done in what can truly be considered confined open water.

Incidentally, I have heard several stories of people that were like fishes in the pool, but had a panic attack being just waist deep in the ocean. How bad do you feel for them, considering they've done most of the certification but because of a fear they didn't realize have wasted that time?

The one thing people don't understand about cert classes here is that there really isn't much classroom time. The books get sent out ahead of time, or if it's a spur-of-the-moment decision, then they get to do that in their own time while lounging by the pool, or in their room after the sun goes down. The only classroom time is reviewing (and teaching prescriptively) the Knowledge Reviews, Quizzes and Exam, with a few dive logging exercises thrown in.

I've had several nervous divers that became completely comfortable once a fish swam by and distracted them from the idea of breathing underwater.

I think there's a lot to benefit from by doing it all with one instructor -- it saves time, you don't need to "re-learn" it the way the OW instructor wants to see it, and you gain a lot of experience just doing the "confined water" skills in "confined open water" -- basically, as long as you can do the skills in COW, you won't have a problem with the OW portion of the class.

Keeping this in mind, PADI is now developing a way to do all the academics online, so you just show up and go dive. That means five dives with an instructor, little-to-no classroom, and you don't have to find your way to a scheduled class every week back home in the middle of your *busy* lifestyle. :)

Dayolddoughnuts:
While I somewhat agree with what lazy turtle said, a decent web site just doesn't cut it..

I think you can get a feel for the size and type of the business by the website (i.e do they have a shop? 3? is it a mom and pop?). I don't think that should be the end of your search, just the begining.

If they're too busy to take your call they're a cattleboat operation and you should pass (unless you call right when a trip is leaving; that can be a really busy time). At the very least they should take your information and get back to you, not the other way around. You've got the money and options: they should be selling themselves to you!

If they're too busy to take your call they're a cattleboat operation and you should pass (unless you call right when a trip is leaving; that can be a really busy time). At the very least they should take your information and get back to you, not the other way around. You've got the money and options: they should be selling themselves to you!

another way of looking at it: if they're too busy to take your call right then, perhaps they're in such great demand they're extremely busy and are one of the better (or cheaper, or both) places... and they don't need to "recruit" customers much.

Be thankful that they're not just sitting there with their hand out waiting for your money -- there's far too many of those people here, peddling every activity possible.

KrisB:
Exactly. Which is yet another reason to add to the list that first-time divers don't belong on a boat. Those dives should be done in what can truly be considered confined open water
Aloha
The only boat diving operation I know of that does not take first time divers, is Ed Robinsons. They only take out certs rated Advanced OW or higher.
Some operations take first time divers in off the shore, and that can be a lot more traumatic then most easy shallow boat dives. A rogue wave, and you have divers rolling all over in the surf. In todays instant gratification society, try telling everyone they cannot go diving today. Try to compete with other dive shops and say first time divers do not belong on a boat. As long as you stay well within standards, in flat clear shallow water, it can be a great experience for all concerned.
If you are booking a dive tour, you can ask if there will be any of those pesky first timers on the boat, and book elsewhere.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

The voice of the super master Jedi SCUBA instructor speaks much wisdom. ED R is BTW, an awsome dive op but you have to know what your doing, no hand holding there.
Turtleguy9:
Aloha
The only boat diving operation I know of that does not take first time divers, is Ed Robinsons. They only take out certs rated Advanced OW or higher.
Some operations take first time divers in off the shore, and that can be a lot more traumatic then most easy shallow boat dives. A rogue wave, and you have divers rolling all over in the surf. In todays instant gratification society, try telling everyone they cannot go diving today. Try to compete with other dive shops and say first time divers do not belong on a boat. As long as you stay well within standards, in flat clear shallow water, it can be a great experience for all concerned.
If you are booking a dive tour, you can ask if there will be any of those pesky first timers on the boat, and book elsewhere.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

KrisB:
Exactly. Which is yet another reason to add to the list that first-time divers don't belong on a boat. Those dives should be done in what can truly be considered confined open water.

Pretty much every dive operator here does intro dives off a boat, and having done a few hundred of them off both boat and shore, it's not the boat that causes panic issues.

One common denominator links nearly every single failed intro dive I've led... they didn't snorkel first. Doing this since '99, I can only recall having two people claim they've snorkeled in the week previous to diving (one I frankly didn't believe, I think maybe they stood in the water and put their mask in while standing and called it snorkeling) that didn't have a great time on the intro dives.

I woudn't blame being on a boat as a primary reason for panicky intros.

later,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom