Trip review Aldora and Palmar Condominium October 29 - November 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been tied up all weekend with my 10 year old in a baseball tournament here in Houston (just rained out!). Memo Mendoza sent me an e mail describing the situation and I will try to post it tomorrow. BTW all of our boats which are not small, yet fast, can easily accommodate 8 divers. 7 although not our preference, is NOT a crowd.

More tomorrow,

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

In Aldora's defense, scheduling the single diver or the odd group of 3 or 5 who are traveling together can create scenarios like this. We also have a policy of no more than 6 divers, but sometimes get caught between a logistical rock and a hard place when there are an odd number of divers and have to put 7 on a boat. So while it's not ideal, sometimes we just don't have a better option, but it's always logistical, not because of money - TRUST me there. Our costs of doing business continue to skyrocket. So give us ALL some grace and understand that scheduling the "perfect" boat for each individual is simply not possible. We have to look at the bigger picture and look out for the greater good for ALL of our divers rather than each individual as much as we would like to make all people happy 100% of the time - being perfectly imperfect humans doesn't allow this. And yes, please remember dive shop owners and staff are humans.

I think the original poster was objective and don't feel that he "crucified" Aldora - just providing an account of his experience and his feelings.

Hopefully this helps give some perspective to the "other" side of the equation.

Not sure I understand the snarky comments about the seventh diver issue. The poster did not crucify the dive op, as a matter of fact, he was quite complimentary towards the dive masters etc. Personally, I would find 7 divers on a small, fast boat to be more crowded, hence less personal space. It is like renting a sedan for four passengers, then deciding to add another, not catastrophic but not ideal either.
If it is I whom you are addressing, I wasn't being snarky, just stating a fact. One extra diver on a boat wouldn't be enough to send me looking for another op, especially if the op in question suited me in all other ways. DSFDF and YMMV.

7 or 8 on a boat! Oh, the humanity:daydream:

I like 10 on mine...my whole group. With a covered boat big enough to handle all 10 divers. Oh yeah...and the most awesome staff to take care of all of us. Is that asking too much? NOPE!

Not sure I understand the snarky comments about the seventh diver issue. The poster did not crucify the dive op, as a matter of fact, he was quite complimentary towards the dive masters etc. Personally, I would find 7 divers on a small, fast boat to be more crowded, hence less personal space. It is like renting a sedan for four passengers, then deciding to add another, not catastrophic but not ideal either.
Agreed. The poster was more than fair. You either have a policy (outlined on your website as is the case here) that you adhere to, or you amend that policy to be in line with what you actually practice. When you don't practice what you preach, it's not unreasonable for your customer to point that out...whether you personally agree with his POV and/or the policy is beside the point.

Then there is the unexpected friend that wants to joint a group of 5. They beg and and beg, and boats are all full with 6. Do you make 5 people very unhappy or 1person a little annoyed ?

I would not mind at all if they explained the issue on the boat with customers. At that point communication with customers is key. Maybe, a token offering may have been in order (free cookies ?) could also be included for those inconvenient.

If they explained why on the boat, this may not have even been mentioned.

Below is the reply from my partner Memo Mendoza and fairly reflects the reality of trying to serve divers as we do. The quote from our web page was a bit out of context in that it failed to include the qualifier that "we are not perfect but do the very best we can, given conditions.

Dave

From Memo Mendoza:

Well, we have been very busy, lots of divers, air , nitrox , advanced, beginners, classes , juniors ,etc...

We had hard time matching.

In occasions we had boats with 7 divers and one boat with 3 divers with air beginners and a Junior divers, what a contrast no?

Is not that we are trying to make tons of money packing boats to a max. Is about trying to match the best we can, with what we got.

Is not safe rent lots of boat every day, we only have a couple of good safe boat that we know and trust the captains and owners. Not counting how hard is to FIND available boats.

He is right, we need to change our webpage. Specially where it says is not safe more than 6.

The total phrasing needs sone adjustments.

7 decent advanced divers Can be comfortable with each other and have wonderful dives, like he did.

7 really beginners apprehensive divers will be a potential problem for one DM. only on special occasions we are forced to match 7 divers on a boat²

YOU are the CHINGON to Write.

Plus we have not raise our prices for a long time, even things cost much more, gas in one example

We either raise our prices or make 7 a normal practice when we are forced.

Guillermo Mendoza

Aldora Divers
Cel. +52 1 987 8761529
Trabajo (987) 8723397
aldora. com
Cozumel , Q.roo, Mexico

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom