Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I haven't seen any trip reports on here yet, but then again I am new here too. So I thought I'd get the ball rolling....

Last Friday I went up to Ginnie Springs (www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com) to do a little intro level cave dives. I met my buddy at the shop and then after I was all signed in we drove down the path to set up gear.

Our plan was to do a no deco, stay on the main line cave dive. For those that don't know, that's what you are allowed to do in intro cave diving. I was excited about this dive because it was going to be the first time I got to use my new 10wHID canister light. Its the little wreck 1 Dive Rite light and I got the new compact H1 light head. Very cool!

So we geared up and headed to the water. Its nice to have buddies that are also DIR cuz I knew that his gear would be just like mine. We did our s-drill over by Little Devil and then swam down the run to Devil's Ear. Did I mention we had the palce to ourselves. I guess Friday early morning is a good time to go. We only passed1 2-man team exiting. So we tied off onto the mainline and I led the dive.

I have to say that the best part for me is the Lips. For some odd reason I'm more comfortable in small areas than the large open rooms. I really started to enjoy the dive just past the lips. Seems to be less flow after that section. And I really got a chance to look around. The last time I dived the Ear was for my class, so its not like I really got to enjoy it that much. Too much work. But this was great. I even found that sanddollar that is sticking out of the way right next to the mainline. I think it was past the junction room. We had made almost to the Maple leaf, but not quite, I tihnk I turned the dive just past the hill400 jump markers. When I gave the thumbs up, I looked down and saw this tiny little tadpole looking fishy thing. Maybe it was a baby catfish. He was squirming all over the place and really little.

The exit here is fun. Plus it would be the fist time that I got to see the cave when exiting. We did lights out drills on every exit here in my class, so I had no idea what it looked like coming out. Going in and coming out are like too different dives as far as scenery. The flow just kinda pushes you out, kinda like flying. Almost relaxing. I'm trying to get out the lips alittle better cuz its not a pretty sight. I hear I'm not the only one that does this though. Remember when I said I had to pull and glide into the lips, well coming out, you get kinda spit outb and the line is at a 90º angle. I end up doing this sideways exit outta there. I feel like a car turning a corner with no breaks. :)

After lunch we did dive #2 which was pretty much the same as dive #1. We made it just a tad bit farther, but not much, maybe 50' - 75'. But the place was busier now. The parlking lot was full. Alot of classes were going on I think. I hope that the instructors teach their students in the future to not run lines in the middle of the opening to the ear and across the room. It was like a spider web getting in there and coming out. I could see it being a big entanglement hazard especially with all the sloppy gear configs I saw down there. Stuff hanging down all over the place off of folks.

Ok, so this may not be the best trip report ever and its kinda long and rambles, but I'll try to do better next time. I'm headed back up to cave country tomorrow for some more cave diving and my rescue class.

Until then...

dive safe and educated,

Wendy

Wendy,

Nice trip report, I am putting Ginny Springs on my have to do list.

mike

That was great, Wendy! I look forward to reading more of your trip reports.

:thumb:

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom