Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from 4 days of great diving; Tuesday- Friday. After surfacing from my last day Friday the conditions were so good it was very hard to get out of the water.

I stayed at Vista Del Mar for the first time. Overall I think it is a great budget option hotel. I sprung for an ocean view with a king size bed. My only issue was that when sitting on the balcony there is a 4" beam right at my eye level. They delivered a tray with coffee, orange juice and bread to your room at what ever time you arranged in the AM. Not a full breakfast but enough to last me to the first SI. At night I would close the storm shutters and it was very dark and not very noisy. AC worked great, plenty of hot water. After all taxes and fees it came to $60 a night, I think that is pretty reasonable considering the view.

I dove with Aldora and dove with the same group of great divers each day. Average dive times were longer than normal since we didn't dive any of the deeper sites; 9 dives averaging 92 minutes each. One day we went north of the island to a couple sites our fisherman captain knows about. Those sites were quite different from the normal Cozumel diving. Fairly flat with ledges spread out, lots of soft corals. There was no current, just a little surge. Wed. night I did a night dive at Tormentos. We only had 4 divers in the group lead by a PADI course director for an 80+ minute dive with no other dive boats in the area.

Friday night I spent the night close to the bus station in Cancun. The square was absolutely packed with families celebrating the Day of the Dead.

Any differences in fish life noticed at sites north of the island? Just wondering how the experience differs. You mentioned soft corals and spread out ledges.

There were less fish than in the marine park. Plenty of smaller reef fish but the snapper were small and not near as many grunts as you see in the park. I saw one small grouper and it ducked under a ledge pretty fast. It is an area that is fished quite a bit, probably where all the fish tacos I ate last week came from. It really makes you appreciate what the marine park does to preserve the wild life. I was expecting to see a bunch of lion fish but we saw one over two dives. From what I was told the area had recently been hunted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom