Trip Report W/Pictures: Lionfish on the Wreck of the Miller Lite off Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFLDiver3445

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I haven't posted any trip reports here in a while, so I thought I'd post some info on my first dive of the new year.

Yesterday, went out and dove the Wreck of the Miller Lite off Pompano Beach. The Miller Lite was sunk in 1987. It's a 186' long freighter and sits in approximately 165 feet of water.

The conditions were nothing short of spectacular. There was no current to speak of, and from the deck of the wreck, I could see the boat on the surface. I did approximately 60 minutes on the wreck, and when I began my ascent my computers were telling me I had at least another hour of decompression, which worked-out ok, because any longer than the 130 plus minutes I actually ended up being in the in the water, and the 5mm suit I had on would not have been enough to keep me warm. It's been a while since I've seen conditions that nice, so either way, it still would have been worth a bit of the chills on the hang!

There's a fair amount of grown on this wreck from being down so long. The amount of smaller fish on the wreck appears to be minimal, but I suspect that's as a result of the number of Lionfish on the wreck. Yes, as appears to be the case on most of the deeper wrecks nowadays, the dreaded Lionfish were everywhere.

As usual, I took my camera down on the dive. I got a new camera setup back in June, so I'm still trying to learn the new setup. I spent most of the dive photographing Lionfish - I no they're evil and all, but they do photograph nicely.

Here's a few shots from the dive:

MG_2397_Edited_.jpg

MG_2364_Edited_.jpg

MG_2401_Edited_.jpg

MG_2405_Edited_.jpg

Enjoy!

I hope you killed them.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Nice photos! The conditions were great this past weekend. I agree that it was worth the chilliness.

I hope you killed them.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

No can do.

I'd have no problem slaying my fair share of those damn invasive critters, but I run the risk of getting fined. The problem is that I dive a closed circuit rebreather, and the State of Florida has banned any harvesting when diving with a rebreather.

Now you and I both know that slaying those feline devilsh fish is technically not harvesting, but I used to do a significant amount of spearfishing and lobstering back in the day, and I've seen the enforcers of the marine regulations exercise what I might call, "less than logical judgement."

Consequently, I avoid carrying any device that might even remotely be classified as a harvesting tool.

Nice photos! The conditions were great this past weekend. I agree that it was worth the chilliness.

Thanks joh!

I actually dove on Saturday and Monday. We did the Rodeo 25 on Saturday, and that was pretty nice as well. My friends also dove the Hydro Atlantic on Sunday, and told me the conditions were just as good as Monday.

I hope this low current and high visibility diving sticks around for a while, even if I do have to breakout my 7mm suit!

Gotcha

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Thanks for sharing.
Very nice photos.

Chug
Kills 'em on sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom