Trip Report: Triangle Divers & Grotto Bay Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a false start due to Hurricane Bill, we finally made the crossing to Bermuda last Saturday. I am delighted to say that we had a lovely time, made some great new friends and will certainly be returning to dive with Triangle Divers.
Bermuda is a small, pricey island, just 22 miles long and a short flight from the east coast. The first thing that struck me on the cab ride to the resort was that beautiful azure water. I have never seen lovelier beaches anywhere. Grotto Bay Resort is about a 7 minute ride from the airport. I must admit that I was concerned when I made the reservations regarding the close proximity. It was not an issue. In fact, I don't think I heard a plane all week. Grotto Bay had a special rate that made the cost equivalent to that of any nice hotel in the states. The resort grounds were lovely, the room was clean and we had a stunning ocean view. Patricia was particularly helpful. The dive shop and dock for Triangle Divers is located on site. The owner is Graham Maddocks. I found him to be one of the most accomodating shop owners I have ever dived with. Clearly, he will assist however possible any request made within reason. He has a great crew, especially Graham Christmas and Captain Stephen. We never felt rushed and trips to and from the sites were fun, relaxed and comfortable. Graham even added an additional camera tank to accomodate both my DSLR and my husband's video camera.
We did 9 dives. Visability averaged about 75 feet - not bad considering the recent hurricane and tropical storm in the Atlantic. Bottom temps averaged 82 degrees. I wore a 1.5mm all week and didn't get cold until my last dive. Experienced divers can dive on their own or with a guide if they wish. We dived the wrecks of the Cristobal Colon, the Pelinaion, the Iristo, the Manilla, the King George dredger, both during the day and as a night dive, and a couple of reefs (one of which, rumor has it, may have produced a newly discovered wreck). Boat rides to the sites were from 30 mins to an hour, depending on where we needed to go for the best dive conditions. Tenacity, a larger dive boat, was never crowded. The wrecks we dived were relatively shallow which made for great photo and video ops and long bottom times. And the reefs have wonderful swim thrus. Not an abundance of fish, but many of the ones they have are HUGE! On the night dive I saw trunkfish the size of footballs. No joke. Also, giant hogfish, queen parrots and black grouper. And I found creatures I have not seen elsewhere like the black spotted sea goddess and bluestriped lizardfish. Thanks, Christmas, for understanding that night dives creep me out. Even after all this time. Dark water gives me the yips.
Triangle Divers is a great value. Graham converses with equal enthusiasm about the history of a wreck, their study of black grouper aggregations or his last rebreather dive. These guys have a lot of great things going on and are giving back to the diving and scientific community. Thanks, Graham, for making us feel like part of the family.
A few recommendations. Buy the one week bus and ferry pass for $45. Bermuda's public transportation is efficient and clean and the best value. There are no car rentals on Bermuda. Scooter rentals are expensive IMHO. Food is expensive. We typically take power bars with us to eat for breakfast. They also make a good after dive snack. Grotto Bay has refrigerators in the rooms for drinks and such. Next trip we will buy sandwich fixings at one of the local markets for lunch, eating out our evening meal only. Some restaurants are more affordable than others. Ask around. The Swizzle Inn is a good value as is the Specialty Inn. Just make sure you can meet the bus schedule or your savings will all go for cab fare. Cabs are expensive.
In closing, Bermuda is a beautiful island and is safer than lots of places we've been. We will be returning. I would not hesitate recommending Triangle Divers to divers of any level of experience. And if you bring Graham's Border Terrier, Mack, some treats you'll have made a friend for life.
A special shout out to Stephen. May the force be with you, Captain. Touched up photo of Tenacity forthcoming.
Take care! RG

I am so glad you had fun! Thanks for the wonderful review as I need to head east at some point to dive their sites.
Let me know when your next trip is too Bermuda!!

take careand thanks again.

I will be heading down their in may 2010 and i cant wait. My GF does not dive but will snorkel and i hope she can see alot

thanks

Jim

Ask questions if you have them Jim!

Whta will I need to dive? I am planning on bring my bc and a 1mil plus regs. I I normally dive din will this be a problem?

I am looking for at least 2 2tanks dive and maybe a night dive. Will the shop at the resort be able to do this or do i need to go to another dive shop?

This will be my first time diving in BLUE water use to dark diveing LOL

I wore a 1.5 mm and was fine. For the most part this isn't deep diving. Average depth was about 50 ft so you can get some long bottom times. I think that's why some divers think the water is cold. Bottom temps were in the low 80s.

We always carry all our gear. Triangle doesn't have gear lockers, but they do have a small storage shed that can be used to stow gear in a pinch. They have really gotten into rebreather diving and do some cave diving as well. If you have any special accomodations, just email Graham and ask. He's good about responding within 24 hrs or so. They do one night dive a week, usually the King George which is one of the few intact wrecks. Easy to navigate in the dark. But you're used to that black water diving, right? Vis averaged 50-75 ft - quite nice, especially compared to the quarry diving we're used to. The color of the water is absolutely stunning. Wish I were going with you.

Anyway, you can see some of my Bermuda photos at on my flickr site. Flickr: I.luv.scuba's Photostream
Have Fun!

Last edited:
I wore a 1.5 mm and was fine. For the most part this isn't deep diving. Average depth was about 50 ft so you can get some long bottom times. I think that's why some divers think the water is cold. Bottom temps were in the low 80s.

We always carry all our gear. Triangle doesn't have gear lockers, but they do have a small storage shed that can be used to stow gear in a pinch. They have really gotten into rebreather diving and do some cave diving as well. If you have any special accomodations, just email Graham and ask. He's good about responding within 24 hrs or so. They do one night dive a week, usually the King George which is one of the few intact wrecks. Easy to navigate in the dark. But you're used to that black water diving, right? Vis averaged 50-75 ft - quite nice, especially compared to the quarry diving we're used to. The color of the water is absolutely stunning. Wish I were going with you.

Anyway, you can see some of my Bermuda photos at on my flickr site. Flickr: I.luv.scuba's Photostream
Have Fun!

Thnx for the report. Did you bring your a dog?

Haha. No, Antena had to stay at the kennel. But since I used to hand strip her I couldn't resist pulling on Mack's coat everytime I saw him. Double coated dogs get hot, so I was his best friend. If I had stayed another week, he'd probably be bald.

Looks like you have a little cutie. I don't trust people that don't like dogs. Be good.

Fedfirediver when in May are you going there? Could you post a report on your trip when you get back. My girlfriend and I will be there the last week of May to dive.

I am sad to report that Triangle Diving has suffered a hard loss in that their dive boat Tenacity caught fire on the 11th of February during Storm which battered the island with HUrricane Force winds. The boat sadly was too badly damaged to save it, tough the company does have insurance they are working hard in trying to prepare themselves for the new season to make sure both locals and visitor alike have a chance to enjoy Bermuda's East end diving.
:( I am sure Triangle Diving will be running in May and doing all that they can to get a boat but please keep them in your thoughts it is a hard time for them :(
Below is the link to the story
The Royal Gazette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom