Trip Report - Tranquility Bay Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orb56

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just returned from a 2 week stay at TBR. This was our 5th stay at this lovely laid back oasis on the north end of the island.

The first 5 days saw heavy onshore breezes which made diving ouside the reef impossible becausse of high seas. There were approximately 12 divers at the resort the first week chomping at the bit to get under the water. after a few days a trip was arranged to Hol Chan which kept 4 of the group happy till the winds calmed down. The trip was organized and lead by the onsite divemaster using the very competent boat captain that is always available right from the dock.

After the winds shifted to the north (off shore) things really started to heat up. Yemen (divemaster) and Gordo (boat captain) were kept busy leading dive after dive for the remainder of the happy divers at the resort. They even brought in an additional divemaster one day to ensure everyone got as many dives as they wanted. No one that I talked to (and I usualyy talked to everyone) was ever disappointed once the winds shifted and we could get ouside the reef through the cut located right ouside the resort.

My wife and I went on nine dives in the next 4 days at the many outstanding dive sites (both named and unamed sites) on the north end of the island. We even managed an awesome night dive at Hol Chan. Gordo knows the area very well and always managed to drop us off at a new and exciting spot many times within a 5 minute boat ride from the dock.

Yemen is a great divemaster. His predive briefings were very detailed and he never seemed to miss anything regardless if it was the first or third dive of the day. Underwater he was constantly keeping tabs on everyone, checking for problems and keeping track of air consumption or DC limits, wheather we were a large group of six or small group of 2. He has a very keen eye for spotting the abundance of fishes, both large and small, and corals that we observed and always pointed out the best spots for that perfect picture.

The named sites that we dove included Basil Jones Canyon, Tortuga Canyons, Robles Canyons, Rocky Point Canyons, Sandy Slope, as well as many unnamed sites as far south as Punta Arena which Gordo dropped us on top of so we could experince seeing some really cool formations.

There is only one mooring line up at this end of the island but Gordo was always right there when we surface for the pick-up after our dives.

The dock crew was very attentive to the needs of all the divers, equipment issues were handled quickly with many spare parts were available for the always worn straps or whatever was required.

All in all we had a perfect holiday at TBR (again) with great staff, management, guests and diving. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get away from the crowds of San Pedro and enjoy the best beach, snorklling and incredible diving. One more thing, the food is incredible in the Aquarium restraurant. No better place to spend your surface interval.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that anyone has about my experiences. Just PM me.

Can't wait to go back again next year

Thanks for the report.

Did you take any topside photos that you care to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom