Trip report staying at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well back home, gear rinsed and dried, regulators sent in for service and back to work :(.
Stayed 10 days with the Blue Angel and did 23 dives. Dove most spots except furthest south and north.
Water temp was at the coolest 82 and the warmest 84. My 1mm Akona fullsuit was fine for me.
Currents were for the most part very light.
Lots of turtles, nurse sharks, black tips, and all the other critters.
SI's were right at an hour and we always stopped at a beach somewhere for these.
DM's were great and dive times for AL80's were shortest 50 minutes (Columbia deep), and up to 70 minutes for boat dives, and up to 90 minutes for the shore dives.
Did quite a few afternoon dives with a spear sling and killed lionfish 1-2 on each dive. The number of lionfish from the BA down to Villiblanca is only a few and they are quite small.
The diveop is run by Martin and he does a good job of matching people.
I did pressure checks on all my tanks and they were always 3000-3400psi.
Nitrox percentages were close to what was marked on the tanks, except on one marked 37% was actually 32%, probably a mislabeled tank.
The captains are quick to switch out your tanks between dives, very quick indeed.
The restaurant food is quite good and there is evening entertainment that is very pleasant.
BA has kayaks available and it was fun to take these out for a paddle.
Did some bike riding down south, the road is smooth and not much traffic in the early morning hours.
The rooms are spartan, but very clean, maids are great.
If I had one complaint here it would be the water pressure on the 4th floor was not very strong and on the weekends it seems the hot water was lacking.
Balconies all face the ocean and there is room to hang your wet stuff there, or if you prefer there are lockers.
Rinse tanks are good size, nice shower next to them. Tanks are available for shore dives.
Very friendly place and easy to get to know your fellow divers as well as the staff.
Front desk folks are very helpful for taxis, change, information, etc..
Heck they even offered to drive me down to el cid with my gear and just drift dive back.
Ok, that's it I'm missing COZ already and can't wait to return.:depressed:

B.S., it was great diving with you. you taught me a lot. Still here, checking out tomorrow, did Columbia wall again this morning for the last trip. The Canuckastonians are still here in force and are a lot of fun. Wind came up Tuesday night and it was pretty rough on Wednesday, and the port stayed open but slack off a bit on Thursday so it was closed (Cozumel, go figure), when we got back out yesterday the normal current seems to be back and the reefs have a lot more fish. Hope to dive with you again and agree that the operation and staff at Blue Angel are top notch

Here is a list of sites I dove, some more than once.
Decision of where to dive is made on the boat each morning.
1. Columbia deep, oh yeah this is now my favorite
2. Cedral wall. Actually found my first seahorse here and a splendid toad fish on my own, woo-hoo!
3. La Francesa. Great 2nd dive spot, fairly shallow, lots of light and critters to see
4. Palancar bricks. Deep dive (91') lots of turtles
5. San Francisco
6. Columbia Pinnacles. Saw 2 eagles rays in formation gliding along
7. Tunich. Very large turtle here feeding
8. Santa Rosa wall. Also one of my favorites.
9. San Clemente
10.Paradise reef. 78 minutes just me and DM and lots and lots of critters
11. Shore dive next to BA the "sting ray prison" up to Villablanca/La hatch. Actually lots of critters to see including big rays outside the pen.
However the underwater topography is no where as nice as the offshore reefs. But next to pen is loaded with life and the coral heads scattered about are fun to watch fish, shrimp, crabs, eels, etc.
Did not get to do Baracuda or San Juan but heard from another dive op conditions were quite good there with almost no current.
Hey and if you are ever in the Caleta probably not a good idea to jump in the water to pee. Crocodiles!

Glad you had a good time AGAIN. I saw that Tony posted a YouTube video recently with some black tips in it. Are they becoming a more common sight now that the area is recovering?

thnx for sharing

Never mind...
Someone else's argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom