Trip Report Pensacola 1/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Met Mat (The famous SuPrBuGmAn), and an new SB'r Dana (dnos) on Sunday on a trip arranged by Gary's Gulf Diver (algulfdiver). He also set up 2 other divers to make 5 on the H2O Below (captained by the very capable Capt. Bubba).

5 divers on a 42' Newton Dive Boat? Eggselent....
Wind and waves were fierce the two days before the dive, and we were not optimistic about the conditions which were to greet us Sunday morning. Due to the fact that Mat and I had control of the trip, and weren't trying to make high tide, or anything, we made a leisurely jaunt from Loxley/Gulf Shores to Pensacola to meet the boat a few minutes after 8. The other divers soon showed up, and we were off before 9:30. It was a little chilly (around 56 degrees or so) when we left, but the sun was out, there was no wind, and the seas were nearly flat. 1-2' with an occasional big roller and even that laid down by the surface interval. Conditions couldn't have been much better.

Dive 1: We headed out to the Russian Freighter, a 400' long Artificial reef that has collapsed upon itself into a series of plates bound together by monofilament and lost anchor lines. Huge spadefish (some over 16" across), schooling amberjack, and the omnipresent toadfish call this wreck home. Mat first set about freeing a toadfish that had swallowed a hook, and bound itself up in the wreck. Water temp was about 63*, and I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be, but I was huffing some air down there.
Max depth 81' for 36 mins. Avg. 57'. We swam to the stern and around the boilers, and generally enjoyed 30'-40' visibility below a 20' murk layer.

Dive 2: We headed over to the "OOPS Barge". This is another artificial reef which has been battered by the storms and mostly covered by sand. Mat claims he saw some good sized snapper off the wreck, but mainly we saw more spadfish, some sheephead, and angels, and small triggers, as always the toadfish were ever present. There wasn't really much to see here, but I managed to hit 76 ft for 35 minutes. Water temp was 61* by the end of the dive.

Mat took pics, and should be along shortly with his take on the dives. I was really questioning my judgement going into the weekend, but the weather cooperated, and I had a really good time on the water.

Thanks Gary, Mat, and Dana!

COOL!! Wish I could have been there.
I was on my way back from Orlando from a Surf Expo a tuff job but somebody had to do it. LOL

Had a great time. Nice to meet Mat and Paul. The boilers at the Russian Freighter are incredible. Look forward to some more boat dives once the gulf gets warmer. Paul, thanks again for letting be borrow your hood.

Glad you had such good conditions. I wish I had been able to join you. Oh well maybe next time. Mike_s and I are trying to plan a trip to Vortex or Morrison in February. If things work out come join us.

Awesome dive and great arrangements threw Garys Gulf Divers and the H2O Below. Cant wait to go again!!!!!! JWhit

jwhitlock:
Awesome dive and great arrangements threw Garys Gulf Divers and the H2O Below. Cant wait to go again!!!!!! JWhit

Give me a shout when you get something lined up. I really need to dive closer to home this year.

I had a blast too :D Hadn't been wet in like a month, so I was seriously jones'n! Just got back from a working in New Orleans since Monday, so I haven't had time to upload pics just yet. Hopefully, sometime tonight I'll have some img's to throw online.

SuPrBuGmAn:
The pics!

http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album73

Not my best shots unfortunately, but I still had a great time!

Great pics. That one of the Toadfish on the OOPS is really good.

The Batfish photo looks kind of weird, like the background bled over the fish...or was he partially covered?

I also don't recall all of those spades on the Russian freighter. I guess I should look around me more...:D

I dunno if it had covered itself with sand to help camoflauge itself, but I probably shouldn't have used the flash on him. It kept me from being able to adjust the colors too much, since it started blowing out the flashed areas - or maybe I just need to buy an external strobe that would have a better shot at lighting the entire subject :D

The spades were definately out in force!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom