Trip Report Palau 02/16-03/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently saw him on the Military Channel / History Channel. They have been running a 1 hour clip for the past month on the taking of Peleliu and Anguar. It is incredible to see the film footage of what then was an island blasted down to its coral base. Today it is so lush you would need a machete to get through parts of the island.

Another good book on Peleliu is the 'Devil's Anvil' by Hallas.

thanks you guys, I will send them off, he loves History.

Kevrumbo;
Unfortunately that article hit it right on the money. We saw an area (visible from the water as we approached Sam's) that was stripped of trees. It was being used for a gravel pit. The need fo gravel has grown since the new highway went in place to Babelthuap. How will they control the erosion? The Japanese are funding a great deal of projects for growth of the infrastructure. The latest funding is going toward road repairs (greatly needed) and road growth. I expecet that growth is the newest wave for Palau. There are so many opportunities for pelple to make money, that conservation often takes a backseat.
While on Peleliu, a palauan captain came in with some Japanese fisherman. The japanese had bragged aobut catching sharks (which were alive in the boat still- sickening) to eat. The conservation officers did absolutely nothing, because although the tourists had caught the sharks in the so-called "Shark Sanctuary", the captain was Palauan and it was okay. Others around us were very distrurbed that the sharks were not killed but rather were left to broil in the hot sun and were seen 'walking' on the boat. When asked if the Palauan would kill the sharks to put them out of their misery, his response was F- you, I'm palauan, I can do what I want.

yes, like the strip mining, right next to the ocean. And Japan is trying to get in there for the fish. They see us all swooping in there, eating at Dragon Thei and probably want a peice of it... It is sad all the massive development going on, and what the implications are.

Catherine;
I read about your storyboards from the jail. I too went there and bought a few. I did ask the guard and he noted that some of the money goes to the jail store itself first and then the remainder goes tothe prisoner to send to the family. There are two other places that are fantastic and worthy of a visit too. The gym across from the street to the DW Motel & Sr Center (near Rock Island Cafe) has some modern painted but traditionally carved storyboards. Carver signed it a name in Palauan meaning headhunter. The best by far was the workshop of Ling Inabo. Lots of people sanding by hand anad carving during the day in a small shop above his home. He signs his artwork Tebang or Tebanang. I had a manta and a large 2-turtle storyboard shipped home. They are hung next to my Alaska native artwork. I love them.

2 days ago i was in Koror and the local newspaper announced a signature of a contract for the building in Peleliu of a xbilllion dollars resort......

Having worked as a guide in Palau, I can say that the best way to dive palau truly is the liveaboard. That way you can get to the top sites such as Blue Corner, German Channel and the likes while the day boats are still loading up back in town. Also the schedule's are better planned as it's the same divers on the boat all week you get to see more sites and don't go to Blue corner every day (unlike the day trips because you have another new diver on board each day). Also be aware the currents in Palau are very unpredictable. Although the guides check the currents and plan to the tide tables, the currents can change very quickly. I would recommend checking out the Ocean Hunter boats.

The other great liveaboard in Palau is the Eclipse out of Sam's. We spent 12 days on this private boat and as Bubble says, this is the way to go. We could dive where and when we wanted, missing the crowds coming out from town.

Diver Dennis:
The other great liveaboard in Palau is the Eclipse out of Sam's. We spent 12 days on this private boat and as Bubble says, this is the way to go. We could dive where and when we wanted, missing the crowds coming out from town.

I'll second the vote for the Eclipse. Very nice way to see and dive Palau for about what you would pay for a liveaboard.

Back
Top Bottom