Trip report; my diving with Blue Angel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After booking my stay at the Blue Angel they sent me an email offering a better rate on the room if I booked a 5 day 2 tank dive package, and with that I’d also be entitled to a lunch for each dive day plus 1 dinner for my wife & I. I had intended to try their dive shop because I’d read good things about them but I hadn’t intended to do more than a few days with them because I expected to dive with Scubatony & Blue XT Sea to keep friendships up to date. I also didn’t want to have to fit 5 days into a 7 day stay since we’d be loosing day to the move there and the 7 day was the return home day so I emailed the question whether I could do some tanks while staying Hotel Cozumel & the rest once we swithed hotels. They quickly emailed back “sure, no problem” so I booked the package. (Without even asking the price.) The plan was that once we were settled in at Hotel Cozumel I’d walk down & do the paperwork and set up some dive days thinking I’d have to walk down on those days. To my surprise they just told me to be on the Hotel Cozumel pier at 8:05 AM for pick up. And they were always on time.
They dive shop is right next door to the hotel, and the restaurant is above it, and there are baskets for those who want to store their gear rather than take it to their room. They don’t (from what I could tell but I didn’t specifically ask) clean & store your gear & then get it ready for your next dive. They did however install your BCD & regs on your tank plus swap it for you between dives, and the switch over was usually done before I got seated after climbing the ladder. ( I removed my BCD in the water & the boat captain hauled it up & did the quick switch). Boats used were good for at least 8 divers plus the DM & captain, and had a cover for shade and I’m pretty sure they had 2 like that PLUS 2 larger boats that from what I could tell were for cruise ship passengers, and they went out at about 10:30 empty & returned full with people in need of gear. When they returned from diving the divers were served lunch, so I’m guessing it’s a package sold by the cruise ship. It may also be available as a private booking but that’s just a guess.
My diving was from the smaller fast boats, and they did 8:00 AM trips, 1:00 PM trips & some twilight / night dives when there were enough divers interested. Surface intervals were on the boat, and the time was dependant on where the second dive would be done. For a shallow site like Colombia Shallows the SI was the time it took to get there since it’s basically just a very long safety stop. Fresh fruit & muffins were served along with water during the SI, but soft drinks & juice weren’t offered. Divers dove their tank & computer, not a schedule, and were allowed a bit of room to explore (if skilled enough that they didn’t need constant supervision) and usually went up in pairs as necessary once they hit the 700 PSI mark. Dive sites were picked bythe divers, briefings were simple for those of us who’ve been there before but for new divers (to Cozumel) a more thorough briefing was given. Having been lucky enough to be on the boat most days with very skilled divers we did some more advanced dives including a trip to the north end, and at least one wall dive we did it a bit deeper than usual thanks to a late start (port closed until 10:30) and a very bright & high sun. The lighting at 100 feet was spectacular, and I had never seen the coral look so magnificent. I dove with 3 different DM’s and I’d be very happy to dive with all 3 of them at any time in the future, and each seemed to have a different approach & interest in what they found interesting to search out, which is refreshing because it shows that they weren’t just punching the clock & waiting for it to run down to “go home” time. My DM’s were (in order) Matt, Jose & Jorge, who I did the majority of my diving with. Matt seemed to do a lot of instructing, but I don’t know if the other DM’s also instruct.
Dive prices quoted when I asked were as follows. (The hotel & dive package price fluctuates with seasons so it’s best to email for that).
2 tank dive trip = $60 plus tax
gear rental = $5 per piece or $15 for everything
2 tanks + gear + lunch (about an $11-$12 value GREAT FOOD) $80.
100 Cu Ft tank add $5 (I use these, great value for the extra scooting around I do shooting photos)
Nitrox = $10 per tank additional.
There’s an additional tax of 11% added on to those prices
and a 14% tax on your room (commonly called a bed tax here).

Based on what I’ve been paying to dive for the last 5 or 6 trips these prices are on the low side but the quality of diving was every bit as good, and the site selection hit my happy spot (we did some of MY favorites more than once, but I’m sure some want more variety, BUT I told them which sites I’d love to do over & over). The only real difference in what I got for my money this trip vs the last few were the lack of going to a beach club for the SI (or to shore at Palancar Pier sometimes) and a few soft drinks or a can of juice, PLUS gear storage & the cleaning & drying of my wetsuit (not always offered) but I don’t use one so no biggie.
I did not get to dive with any new divers, nor any resort course divers, or even divers finishing their testing so I can’t comment on how they are treated but I did see Matt with students both in the dive shop & water & it looked like they were getting what they paid for, and they didn’t seem to become a burden to the experienced divers by sending them out with us.

Highly recommended unless you want the frills & are willing to pay for them.

Photos from my diving (5 albums) can be found at
Picasa Web Albums - Larry

Photos were shot using a Canon G9 in a Canon housing with dual (older) Sea & Sea strobes which only fire at full power, so it’s necessary to shoot in manual mode most of the time. I shot in RAW plus jpg, and the majority of photos in the albums were derived from the RAW files run through Adobe Camera Raw / CS4.

PS I found it so convenient diving with Blue Angel once we’d moved to the resort, plus my wife really liked the fact I was back in time to join her for lunch most days that I didn’t take the time to dive with Scubatony or Pedro Pablo (Blue XT Sea) but I’m hoping to make a solo trip in late spring to make up for that. Hopefully I’ll get some kind of last minute air fare deal that makes that possible.

I also wrote a trip report on the vacation stays at Hotel Cozumel & Blue Angel which can be seen here.

Trip report, Hotel Cozumel plus Blue Angel Resort. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

Thanks for the report. I really like the folks at Blue Angel....will be back there in 8 weeks but who is counting!

Attachments

• Cozumel 2010 010.JPG
    Cozumel 2010 010.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 179
Nice detailed report, enjoyed reading it a lot! Love the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Hey there, It was great having you here, and I look forward to having you back. I thought of you today as I was underwater at Columbia shallows. We had just seen some dolphins at the surface and I spent the first 30 minutes of the dive looking around, hoping they would appear again. I remembered your great dolphin photo.

Take care,
Matthew

Thanks everyone, and Matt I would have loved to be on Colombia Shallows again, Really was a lucky shot but hopefully I'll see them again next trip. I'm going to run off a BIG print of that shot & hang it in my shop plus I think I'll take one to the doctor who fixed my leg to show him I appreciate having it's use again.

Hey there, It was great having you here, and I look forward to having you back. I thought of you today as I was underwater at Columbia shallows. We had just seen some dolphins at the surface and I spent the first 30 minutes of the dive looking around, hoping they would appear again. I remembered your great dolphin photo.

Take care,
Matthew
Hey, Matteo. See you May6th!

My time's comin' any day now...

Thnx for the report

Great trip report, both here and on tripadvisor. I really enjoy staying/eating/and diving at the blue angel and your report has me excited to get back.

DITTO!!

Come on November!!

Back
Top Bottom