Trip Report - Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My full report will go on my website but I will post a short synapse here. Overall I had a great trip and the diving was great. All I meant was that the diving was a great deal like Aquarena springs and for anyone who knows me, I don't really like diving at Aquarena Springs. Media Luna is obviously much bigger than Aquarena and much deeper but there is more marine life in Aquarena Springs than Media Luna. There is better vegetation at Media Luna however. For me, both places are a photogs paradise, with the clear waters and great vegetation, you could not ask for better in that respect.

So, bottom line, was the trip worth the drive. For me, most definitely but not because of the diving. I also do a great deal of Land Photography. Here is where the reward came in and not at Media Luna or Puente de Dios. The Mexican state of San Luis Potosí offers a great deal to those willing to search it out. The environment is very unique and well worth many days of walking the countryside looking for the perfect shot. When I was not in the water, I was truly happy just meeting new people and taking photos of great subjects and great landscapes. Another reward was that the Orange blossoms were in bloom and they were everywhere. As I walked, all I could smell was the scent coming off these trees. It made the long walks much easier.

So, would I go back. Most definitely but probably not for Media Luna or Puente de Dios and probably not to RioVerde. The countryside is rich in culture and very unique. I have already started talking to my wife about a return trip to San Luis Potosí later this year.

For those who have never been to Media Luna, it is worth the trip down so don't get me wrong, but just don't forget there is a lot more to see than just the thermal springs or the waterfall. Again, this is just my 2 cents...

Layne

My full report will go on my website but I will post a short synapse here. Overall I had a great trip and the diving was great. All I meant was that the diving was a great deal like Aquarena springs and for anyone who knows me, I don't really like diving at Aquarena Springs. Media Luna is obviously much bigger than Aquarena and much deeper but there is more marine life in Aquarena Springs than Media Luna. There is better vegetation at Media Luna however. For me, both places are a photogs paradise, with the clear waters and great vegetation, you could not ask for better in that respect.

And Media Luna doesn't make you wear a big banana costume. :D

Seriously though, my biggest question would be what were you expecting? I thought the previous descriptions and reviews have depicted Media Luna fairly accurately. Were you expecting some different kind of dive site or did you know it was an oversized Aquarena but went on the trip anyway for the peripheral activities?

I agree about the beauty of the countryside. I'm leaving tonight and will be driving through San Luis Potosi about this time tomorrow morning.

I agree w/ LVX, Media Luna is a great check off dive and place to visit, but it's the larger state of SLP that's full of plenty else to see and do, most of it above water.

If I were to go back I'd plan another loop trip, stopping and staying at key cities (Xilitla for example) for 1-2 days each, and make day trips to the stuff you want to see. It was very easy for K-valve and myself to follow lead after lead from locals telling us what we ought to go see (we just scratched the surface).

There are 1,000 foot waterfalls you can repel down, river rafting, dry caves, ruins, pyramids, not to mention all the little towns, cathedrals, and roadside taco stands. Food and lodging are CHEAP, the main expense is gas.

I'm glad ya'll had a good trip and I'll look forward to reading LVX's report on his website.

Seriously though, my biggest question would be what were you expecting? I thought the previous descriptions and reviews have depicted Media Luna fairly accurately. Were you expecting some different kind of dive site or did you know it was an oversized Aquarena but went on the trip anyway for the peripheral activities?

I was looking for a new experience and that is what I got. No matter what someone else says or writes about an experience it is their experience. You only really get to experience something when you experience it.

Also, don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the diving but for the same reason I sometimes enjoy diving at Aquarena - taking photos....

Layne

OK gotcha, I was just trying to determine if you found the previous reviews to be inaccurate or incomplete, or if you found the dive site to be something quite different from your expectations.

We drove from Austin to Laredo - 3.5 - 4 hours. Laredo to Satillo - 3.5-4 hours and then Satillo to Rioverde - 4 hours. It was roughly 12 hours each way with a few detours along the way.

Layne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom