trip report: Jupiter with Captain Sl8r

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I correct that if one were to choose to dive apart from the divemaster who is towing the flag, then one would need to tow their own flag? A flag is required when more than 300 feet from a dive boat, right?

Also, one of the minor issues we had with JDC last year was that we were not really doing a drift dive but rather fighting the current much of the time. We chalked it up to the conditions of the day and/or the DM having navigational issues that had us too far away from the ledge. Sl8r advertised a drift dive, and a drift dive we got.

I was on the boat once in Jupiter when an air diver dove the nitrox profile and got bent, had to be carried off the boat by the medics.

Considering that on most of the ledges you will be drifting around 70 ft, and could easily spend most of the dive at 85 to 90ft the time limits make sense.

We typically start our ascent on the first dive (on 36%) at 35 minutes just to make sure we have a longer SI. Sure, many might think that is way overdoing it on conservatism but we have found that is what works best for us.

On west palm/boynton/pompano 45-60 ft reefs we generally do both dives around an hour.

Sl8R and JDC are our go-to boats in Jupiter as well.

Incidentally, we had no complaints with JDC--we just wanted to give these other guys a try. Spread the love.

I'm glad to see it. When I was researching where to go, I was impressed with how universal the praise for Captain Sl8r's operation was. They're mentioned positively on this forum, but I don't see many trip reports with them here? I dove with JDC the one time I went; there was some hunting on that (I recall lion fish, an Atlantic spadefish & I think lobster taken). I don't know how hunter welcoming they were, or their view on going off on your own on hot drop drift dives, but a few people did hunt.

Richard.

thread read and noted...thanks for the info.....

Am I correct that if one were to choose to dive apart from the divemaster who is towing the flag, then one would need to tow their own flag? A flag is required when more than 300 feet from a dive boat, right?

Also, one of the minor issues we had with JDC last year was that we were not really doing a drift dive but rather fighting the current much of the time. We chalked it up to the conditions of the day and/or the DM having navigational issues that had us too far away from the ledge. Sl8r advertised a drift dive, and a drift dive we got.

At least with JDC, only the DM had a flag. If you surface away from the DM, either early or at the prescribed time, you send up an SMB. Sometimes the current and/or surface current or wind is against staying on the reef, that is the way it goes. This is the case in Jupiter and in Boynton Beach. Then you swim against it part or all of the time. Welcome to drift diving. At times, staying on the reef is very difficult, strenuous, skillfull.

At least with JDC, only the DM had a flag. If you surface away from the DM, either early or at the prescribed time, you send up an SMB. Sometimes the current and/or surface current or wind is against staying on the reef, that is the way it goes. This is the case in Jupiter and in Boynton Beach. Then you swim against it part or all of the time. Welcome to drift diving. At times, staying on the reef is very difficult, strenuous, skillfull.
And dropping expecting the usual north current and finding it is south! :shocked2:

my goto boats in Jupiter are Sl8r and Stuart Scuba. Sl8r runs an awesome and safe op. I've been diving with him for years now.

Stuart Scuba is in the other side of the Jupiter Inlet (Jupiter Pointe Marina). They actually also run boats from Stuart and from their 2nd shop at BHB (Little Deeper). Also a great and safe op. They are also VERY hunter friendly. FYI, Hunting out of stuart tends to be awesome.

And dropping expecting the usual north current and finding it is south! :shocked2:

For what it's worth, our drifts were southbound that day. I wasn't aware that north was more common. Makes no difference to me! :D I might as well add here that the briefing was pretty good, with a whiteboard.

Sl8r requires that everyone have an SMB, just like JDC and probably the others as well. Just common sense. Since we surfaced next to the DM's dive flag, and the boat clearly saw us, we didn't bother deploying the SMB.

For what it's worth, our drifts were southbound that day. I wasn't aware that north was more common. Makes no difference to me! :D I might as well add here that the briefing was pretty good, with a whiteboard.

Sl8r requires that everyone have an SMB, just like JDC and probably the others as well. Just common sense. Since we surfaced next to the DM's dive flag, and the boat clearly saw us, we didn't bother deploying the SMB.
If the boat is aware the current is south the captain plans for it and drops accordingly. The problem happens when we are expecting north and drop for north but the current is south. If the drop is the middle of the reef, no big deal. Just drift south. But if you are dropped at the end of the reef or a wreck, then there is a problem. On one particularly troublesome day, the current switch mid dive.

But as scubadada mentioned, I especially hate it when the current is strong and trying to blow you off the reef.

I think all the boats require an SMB of some sort and Narcosis will even supply a small one if someone doesnt have it. Any divers that surface early or away from the flag can inflate it on the surface if the boat is not right there. Solo divers and hunters will carry a larger SMB and shoot at depth or at the safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom