Trip Report - Ginnie Springs + Pics Galore!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After touring the flooded springs along the Suwanee on Saturday - check out the pics - I ended up at Ginnie to get in some last minute practice before my Intro to Cave class coming up. I expected there to be a mass of cave diver due to all the flooding, as Ginnie is usually diveable even in flood times. However, it wasnt as bad as I though. The Devils system was more packed than usual, but with OW divers, not cavers. The Ginnie Headspring was a place to stay away from, as the OW classes were all over the place.

At about 2pm I suited up and headed into the Devils system solo, and figured Id get some real practice, do some valve shutoffs, etc. The Devils Eye had a class going on, so I headed over to the Ear, which was looking quite tannic. It was only first few feet however. I pulled my way up to the sign, and hung around to check out the cavern. There was also a cave class going on, so I tried to stay out of there way. Since I was solo I didnt hang out long, and soon rode the flow out. I then headed over to the Ear to wait for the OW class to finish then went into the Ear and hung out in the cavern for another 20 minutes, practiced with my spool a bit, and did some valve shutoffs. 45min @ 55ft - Dive 1.

After that dive I went up for a fill and some lunch, then headed over to the Ginnie Headspring to do some more line running and general practice. I could see there were still a few OW classes in the basin, so I grabbed a book to wait them out. It was about 4pm, and theyd be gone soon. This is when a near drowning occured right in front of me. You can read about it over here . Well, after that I was reconsidering going for a solo dive in the cavern, but Im fearless (stupid?) and jumped in anyway. The cavern had cleared up, so I ran the line a bit, practice with my spool, did some valveshutoffs, no mask swimming, etc. I also lost my camera at some point, but it floated out and someone found it for me. That was lucky. 60mins @60ft. - Dive 2

All in all, it was a nice day, and good to get wet. Here are my complete rolls of film - http:/northfloridadiver.net/media/ginnie204.htm , and some slected pics below.

I was there Sat and Sunday as well. Only at the Devil's system. The Ballroom looked all busy.

Here are a few of the images that I took.

The first is a group of divers exiting the eye.
The second is a shot of little devils.
The third is the sun through the tannic water above the ear.
The fourth and last is a tieoff inside of the devil's system.

Had a great time!

Peter
PS> I think that your devils204/43950018.JPG image has my BMW on it. Pretty easy to recognize among the trucks. Feel free to come over and say hi next time.

We are heading to Little River Soon Not sure when.
It will most likely Be Me Rick P1 and P2 If your interested I'll let you know when. Most likely a couple of weeks.
John get your Intro done so you can come too.
Fred

very nice pics everyone

fgray1:
We are heading to Little River Soon Not sure when.
It will most likely Be Me Rick P1 and P2 If your interested I'll let you know when. Most likely a couple of weeks.
John get your Intro done so you can come too.
Fred

I should be Intro after this weekend Fred, then its time to dive!

pdoege, ill say hi next time. didnt know who was around. Ive just about always got my Leisure Pro hat on, and you know Im the only one who wears one, so I should be easy to spot. Cya next time.

Didn't even know that LP hats existed :)

Little River will be fun. Any idea how long before it is diveable? The river is very high right now.

Might be better to plan a dawn raid at Manatee.

Peter

pdoege:
Didn't even know that LP hats existed :)

Little River will be fun. Any idea how long before it is diveable? The river is very high right now.

Might be better to plan a dawn raid at Manatee.

Peter

LR is not looking so good. Probably be another few weeks at least.

Hey Fred - it was just brought to my attention that Peacock is back up to 30 foot vis and is open again - any chance we could get a couple of dives in there anytime soon?

It would be great to get the chance to go back and check out the Pothole and the area past the Breakdown room - let me know!! :)

p.s. How did your boat diving go?

p.s.s. Tell Rick and P1 I said Hi!!

StarrySkies:
Hey Fred - it was just brought to my attention that Peacock is back up to 30 foot vis and is open again - any chance we could get a couple of dives in there anytime soon?

It would be great to get the chance to go back and check out the Pothole and the area past the Breakdown room - let me know!! :)

p.s. How did your boat diving go?

p.s.s. Tell Rick and P1 I said Hi!!
My daughter is getting married this weekend so it out but I shooting for the following weekend it depends on my back.
I twisted the crap out of it last week at work again (boy getting old sucks) I didn't go last weekend cause of it but they all said they had a great time. they did a wreck aand a reef. I figure i'll be healed by next week if I take it easy.
Me and Rick are figuring Little river if it clears up. If not then Manetee or Peacock. I'll let you know.
Fred

guys, i am cavern certified and would love to dive the cavern at Peacock (never done it) or Little River (i understand the first portion is a cavern dive).

please let me know if i can join you when you head down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom