Trip Report -- DIR Fundamentals -- August 9-11 -- Boston, MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In our class we were told tht the top of the plate should be at your 2nd vertebra....not sure if that helps, though.

I was looking through the still pics from our course...couldn't find any that showed the BP positioning after adjustment by the instructors.

Many pics from the DIRF courses Andrew G. has conducted this year (including ours) are now posted on the Fifth DImension website. Click on the "Around the world with Andrew G" link for pictures

http://www.fifthd.com

-Chris

large_diver once bubbled...
In our class we were told tht the top of the plate should be at your 2nd vertebra....not sure if that helps, though.

I was looking through the still pics from our course...couldn't find any that showed the BP positioning after adjustment by the instructors.

Many pics from the DIRF courses Andrew G. has conducted this year (including ours) are now posted on the Fifth DImension website. Click on the "Around the world with Andrew G" link for pictures

http://www.fifthd.com

-Chris

Well if that is the case the backplate would be at the base of your skull. I am sure you mean that the plate should come to the level of your second thoracic vertebrae or about 4 inches below your shoulder line. There is no perfect place to have the backplate be positioned on,as every diver's body is different and the position will change depending on body design.

You are correct Ronmedic. T2 is the recommended position.

Chad

Large Diver,

Did you happen to read my DIRF report? If so, how do you think our class structure stacked against yours? Seemed to me from your report that the class was very similar in the way it was handled even tho the instructors were different. It's nice to see that not only is the information consistent, but also the fact that the instructors are all of high quality as well.

Rooster1 once bubbled...
that is the best dir post I have read on this board.
It was not defensive, it was not condescending, it was not provocative. what it was...was honest and non argumentive. I must say very refreshing compared to some of the mud sling that is done around here under the guise of Jargon.:mean:

Bravo large_diver

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY
GOOD REPORT

roakey once bubbled...
Problem is, I think that a separate forum would reinforce the misconception that DIR is somehow different and non-applicable to “regular recreational” diving.

I’ve been on other bulletin boards where separate forums have been suggested, but its always been the anti-DIR folks who are doing the suggesting. This is another reason I think it’d be a bad idea.

Roak

I wonder if there would be any value in a "Training/Skills" forum.

dlwalke once bubbled...
I wonder if there would be any value in a "Training/Skills" forum.
I think that is a great idea... why don't you run that up the flag pole in the support forum and see if anybody salutes it?

I understand and agree with Roaky that we shouldn't separate out individual training agencies into their own forums... but a general training forum would be the ticket!

Ron -- yeah, not being a medical type, I knew the "second vertebra" comment seemed a little strange, but couldn't remember the specifics. I am sure in the class they made the distinction that you did above, but I missed it. Sorry for any confusion this caused.

Cavediver -- yes, I read your report, which was great. I thought mine was long ;-) It sounds like the structure of both of our classes was very similar, but I have noticed some differences with each class summary that I have read, no doubt due to instructor differences, logistical "challenges" and time constraints.

The main "difference" I noticed in my class vs. others I've read/heard about is that the gear critique in my course was rather mild IMO. In some respects, I thought it was too mild and having thought about it some more since the course, I think I should have taken the initiative myself to have them go over my gear more fully. For example, the following were never discussed -- the use of a bungee loop to secure the wing inflator (I've always had mine hanging free), wing size (I use a 45lb Halcyon Pioneer), tank boots (I had mine on all weekend and no one ever questioned them), hose length (I have a 26" hose on my back-up reg, which may be too long -- again, no one questioned it; my inflator hose also needs to be traded out for a shorter length). It could be that people saw my gear and passed over it as being "acceptable" without any direct discussion, but there was never a formal "OK, let's look at your rig from top to bottom" discussion. We all received lots of individual attention on our harnesses, but this scrutiny did not continue with other parts of our rig.

Also not sure if this was done more formally with the people who were diving doubles in the class. I was diving single tanks and made it clear during the introductions on the first night of the class that my ST and LT diving goals are all recreational.......and perhaps this resulted in the more subtle/gentle critique. Some of this may also be instructor-specific. The single tank divers in the class did not dive with Andrew G. until Sunday. On our first dive with him, he started taking one guy to task about his wing (he was using what looked like a doubles wing) and also pulled a suicide clip off of his harness and tossed it back towards shore. Andrew's subtle comment after looking this guy's rig over was, "Who the f@$% checked your rig out yesterday?". No doubt some instructor demerits were handed out for that....

Bottom line, the class was worth every penny, but like any other training, there are always areas for improvement. I e-mailed Andrew some detailed feedback after the class (including the issues mentioned above). Certainly one of the challenges GUE will face as they continue to expand is the quality and consistency of the training.

large_diver once bubbled...
The main "difference" I noticed in my class vs. others I've read/heard about is that the gear critique in my course was rather mild IMO. In some respects, I thought it was too mild and having thought about it some more since the course, I think I should have taken the initiative myself to have them go over my gear more fully.
Chris I was surprised when I first read this but then when I saw that AG was not the one who checked your gear out and that you had declared yourself a non-combatant :wink: I realized why.

One of the great benefits of taking a class like this is having all the elements (gear included) explained and your configuration *adjusted*.

Hey.... nothing wrong with your wing size ;-) However AG did ding me when I used it back when we took the DIRf.... Shane still uses his :D

Back
Top Bottom