Trip Report -- DIR Fundamentals -- August 9-11 -- Boston, MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver,

I agree with others this is an excellent report. Probably the least biased and most detailed about what it is like to take a DIRF class that I have seen.

With all the interest and debate about DIR all over this board, specially considering all the other DIR posts on the Basic Scuba Discussions section which even includes a blatant post advertising a DIR class. I would repectfully request that the moderator move this post back to that section where it can be viewed by the largest number of those interested.

Peter

...make a DIR section on the board so people that don't want to read those posts don't have to..

I asked for a DIR forum before and they said that the tech forums were for that. I think a solid DIR forum is a great idea, so that people who do not want to read dir posts do not have to in the general context.

Tommy

Problem is, I think that a separate forum would reinforce the misconception that DIR is somehow different and non-applicable to “regular recreational” diving.

I’ve been on other bulletin boards where separate forums have been suggested, but its always been the anti-DIR folks who are doing the suggesting. This is another reason I think it’d be a bad idea.

Roak

Problem is, I think that a separate forum would reinforce the misconception that DIR is somehow different and non-applicable to “regular recreational” diving.

Nobody wants the elitist stereotype to go any further than it has. Guess we will have to learn to coexist.

I would like to think that the information posted from all over the world on this board as an exchange of information should continue to be open. I would like to see other posts from other course taken from other agencies. Since I am interested in getting into Tech diving by next summer. I spent the last 3 years with my head in the ground…Cave diving. But now that I am 10 min from the Ocean and 4 hours from the caves I would like to read and research the different Tech training and ideas available. You can only learn so much from one instructor/agency. Since I have absolute zero Tech courses I will not be able to tell you of my courses or experiences. Any others here on the board care to share theirs?

Otherwise you'll have to hear my openwater/ overhead experiences.

that is the best dir post I have read on this board.
It was not defensive, it was not condescending, it was not provocative. what it was...was honest and non argumentive. I must say very refreshing compared to some of the mud sling that is done around here under the guise of Jargon.:mean:

Bravo large_diver

that large_diver's post was very well done. I think several of the DIRF threads were similar in nature. IMHO, more of those taking up the DIR philosphy are exposed to JJ's personality which seems far more reasonable and non confrontational. This will, in the long run, make the DIR philosphy far more appealing to the diving community.

Excellent report, Large. Thanks for taking the time to do it so thoroughly.

large_diver wrote...
We then donned our backplates (just BP & harness – no wing) with our exposure suits on to make sure our harnesses were fitted correctly. Pretty much everyone in the class required a tighter harness. When wearing it on dry land with your suit on, they want you to be able to reach back and touch the top of the plate with your hand.
I'm a little unclear on exactly where the top of the backplate should be. Could you expand on what you wrote above?

Back
Top Bottom