Trip Report- Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebag

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Departed DFW on American to Cancun. Took a taxi to Playa del Carmen and took the ferry to Cozumel. Stayed a quaint little place called Hacienda San Miguel a few blocks away from the square in town. 1st time to stay in town and loved it. I recommend looking into Hacienda San Miguel for those wanting to be in town. Walking distance to everything. We've grown tired of the bigger resorts with a taxi ride to town. We dove with Cozumel Equalizers. Darwin Zapata, the owner came to our hotel, the greet us the day we arrived. We met the next morning at Jeannie's Waffle House to depart from the pier just outside the restaurant ($2 taxi from hotel). Left on small boat at 8:30 with 5 divers. The water was a little choppy. 1st dive was to Palancar Horseshoe. Dove with computers and went to 80 ft for 48 minutes. Divemaster was Sara and excellent DM from France. Saw a large school of jacks, large crab and many lobsters. Stayed on the boat for the interval and did the 2nd dive at Yucab. Saw various fish, spotted moray eel and splendid toad fish. Went to 58 ft for 54 min. Water temperature on all dives on this trip was 77 degrees F. Got back to pier around 12:30p. 2nd day of diving went to Dalila. 77 ft for 50 min. 100ft visibility. The owner's son Henry was the divemaster. Dalila is one my favorite reefs. Saw 2 large turtles, one was just sitting behing a coral ledge with some gray angels. It didn't swim away and we just hung out a couple of feet away as he was curiously watching us. Also saw a 3 inch seahorse in the sea grass, several barracudas, tilefish, large tiger grouper, crabs, and lobsters. Lots of color and coral and sponges. Worth doing again. Went to Mr. Sanchos beach club for refreshments during the surface interval. 2nd dive of day was to Tormentos. 58 ft for 54 min. Excellent fish life, saw turtle, eagle ray, nurse shark, pipe fish, southern stingray. 100 ft vis. 3rd day small boats were not allowed leave port due to rough seas. Met up with a diver from hotel who hooked us up with Eco-Divers who had chartered a big boat with 15 divers (combined with another small boat operator) that was able to go out. Went to Santa Rosa Wall. Vis was only about 60 ft. Dive master was Felipe. Not as much drift, saw lobsters and several octopi. Went 85 ft for 50 min on computer. Stayed on boat during interval with fruit and drinks. 2nd dive of day was to Yucab. Lots of colorful coral. Saw several spotted eels, a brown eel, 3 splendid toadfish, 2 octopi, baby shrimp 2 cleaning stations with grunts, french gray and queen angels, dog snappers, lobsters, flownder. Very little drift. 56 ft for 62 min. 4th day of diving again with Equalizers. Went to Palancar Bricks. We were going to to Palancar caves, but the drift was running the opposite direction from usual. Did some swim throughs, saw nurse shark, large crab, southern stingray. 85 ft for 46 min. Went to a beach club for refreshments during interval. 2nd dive of day was Cedral Pass. Slow current. Saw 2 nurse sharks, brown eel, 2 splendid toadfish, lobsters, 2 very large barracudas, 2 variations of large, colorful trumpet fish (couldn't identify). Healthy plant, coral and sponges. 56 ft for 61 min. Water temp on all dives was 77 degrees, outside temp was in mid-eighties. Used a 3 mil wetsuit. Mostly cloudy with some sun. Got chilly on the boat rides back. Equalizers is a great operation and owner Darwin is a very nice man providing very personalized service. He even tracked down a wallet I had lost in a taxi and delivered it to me (stupid me). We checked out and went to Puerto Morales for more diving. I will do a separate post on those dives.

,,,,,,,,thanks for sharing it. It sounds like you had a great trip.

Did you find significant savings on your airfare flyin into Cancun on this trip?

SterlingDiver

I don't know for sure. My airfare was paid to attend a conference near Cancun (actually Puerto Morelos), but we went early and made our own arrangements to get to Cozumel. I talked to several other people in Cozumel and they said it can be hundreds of dollars cheaper to fly to cancun and ferry over, depending on where you depart from in US. From Dallas, TX it's about the same rate. From many places it's much cheaper to go to Cancun.

Great trip reports. I actually read Pto Morelos 1st than Coz, Oopps. Love all the details. What was your favorite dive of the whole trip?

love those reports. Can't wait for May.

Thanks for the report. Where did you eat in town? Anything special?

Thanks for taking the time to write the report. Nice Job.

Nice report. Me and my buddies are booked for Hacienda San Miguel mar 2-7. We used to stay at Plaza Las Glorias. Saved about $50 bucks a day on hotel prices.
Other than being close to town, how did you like the hotel.

Kat, My favorite dive in Cozumel was Dalila. It's a shallower dive, but you see so much color and sea life. But my overall favorite was the cenote dive in Puerto Morelos called Tres Bocas. Driving into the jungle, walking down the path to the cenote, being educated on the local flora and fauna by the divemaster Jan started it out great. Then entering this "hole in the ground" that leads into a breathtaking (I did keep breathing) cavern system with all the limestone, stalagtites and stalagmites, ribbons, ect. with virtually unlimited visability was the best. I felt really connected when looking up and seeing the sunlight peering down through other openings throughout the cenote. I can see why the Mayan people did ceremonial rituals at the cenotes. Who knows, maybe it was because it was my first cenote dive?

Tim, We ate at a lot of the regulars we enjoy. Guido's, Prima's, Tony Rome's, Jeannie's Waffle House, DZ Diamond Bakery, but also had recommended to us Las Palmas (sp.? I think). It was several streets back. Capitan Navigante (sp), Zermatt Bakery and Pastry Shop, and some other small local places that I cannot remember the names. We thoroughly enjoyed every place we went!!!

ScubaJim, The Hacienda San Miguel is a great little place. 10-12 rooms maybe, very clean and well decorated. Beautiful central garden area that all rooms face. Fun and friendly guests, not rowdy. Very friendly staff, who get get to know on first name basis, full of recommendations for food and activities. Complimentary pastry, juice and coffee in the a.m. if you want. Our junior suite had a separate bedroom, TV, full kitchen, refrig, stove, oven with cooking and dining utensils, a local grocery market a couple of blocks away. I liked keeping the beer right there in the fridge.
We liked it would recommend it to others. It's fits our lifestyle better than the large resorts. We're in our 30's and enjoy a laid back atmosphere, with unlimited choices on what to do around town, rather than the large all inclusives or taxiing in and out of town. Lots of guests were cooking in rooms and eating out on their patios and conversing during the day. 5 min or less walk to square. $1 or $2 taxi anywhere in town, if you don't want to walk. We walked almost everywhere at any time of day or night.

SterlingDiver:
,,,,,,,,thanks for sharing it. It sounds like you had a great trip.

Did you find significant savings on your airfare flyin into Cancun on this trip?

SterlingDiver

Flies into Cancun for cheap. I ended up using some frequent flyer to get into Houston and taking the Continental flight but Spirit was a real option. About $250 from DC National to Cancun, connecting through Ft Lauderdale

Back
Top Bottom