Trip Report- Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MgicTwnger:
rkr3000:
It wasn't the liquor that made us sick!!! The Dr. said Montezuma got his revenge on us (for more than a week!) QUOTE]

That may be true in your case. However, I've seen Montezuma frequently get blamed for the work of Jose Cuervo.

Yes me too - but Jose doesn't pass through these lips!! This time we had medical confirmation. I too have seen many self inflicted wounds as well.

IMHO & personal experience: It's the tequila.

Had a favorite Mexican restaurant/bar in the Chicago area. Great food & kick *** drinks. Everytime I ate there I got sick-always saying I got food poisoning. My boyfriend finally pointed out that it might, just might, be the pitcher of margaritas, I drank.

rkr3000:
Gordon - Don't get too comfortable! We're island junkies - go somewhere in the Caribbean at least once every 6 months. We've seen first hand some pretty sick folks! The sickest we've ever been in our lives (and we are not sickly people) was after one of our trips to Cozumel - and yes, we ate on one of the pirate dinner cruises. It wasn't the liquor that made us sick!!! .

Well, I've been there many times, and I've eaten at the mainstream places, backstreet places, and people's homes, and I got really sick (as differentiated from mild short term discomfort) for the first time last May.

We had stocked a cooler for an around-the-island trek with partial bags of ice that we found floating in a couple of feet of water in the bottom of a broken ice cooler in front of the hotel. Someone in our group, rather than littering, put an empty beer bottle back in the cooler. Someone else put a bunch of unwashed limes in the cooler. Two days later, my sister got several beers from that cooler and gave me one. I took (and swallowed) a huge slug from it before I noticed that it was water, not beer. I was sick for a week, the details of which you do not want to hear about.

Been there done that!! (Not the cooler mishap, but the details afterwards!) Seriously, we love Mexico and the Mexical culture and food. We usually stay at all inclusives just for the pampering, but spend quite a bit of time in town and diving. I guess everyone has their travel stories. We always focus on the best parts and tend to "forget" about the less enjoyable times!

Do you do alot of diving in the Austin area? We've done some lake stuff down south, but mostly around San Antonio (Travis, Medina). We live in Abilene. We have to travel to dive - nothing clear around here!! New Mexico has some pretty good spots as well.

rkr3000:
Do you do a lot of diving in the Austin area? We've done some lake stuff down south, but mostly around San Antonio (Travis, Medina). We live in Abilene. We have to travel to dive - nothing clear around here!! New Mexico has some pretty good spots as well.

Actually, no. I got cert'ed in Travis and then immediately (4 days later) went to Cozumel and got myself spoiled. That was 10 years ago, and I haven't been back in Travis since.

Thanks for posting the info on the Hacienda San Miguel. The rooms looked great on the website, but it's nice to get the opinion of someone who's stayed there as a guest. I'm planning on diving with Blue XT in June. I think we'll have to meet the boat at the pier at Plaza Las Glorias (I could be wrong..). Is it fairly short distance from HSM?

Dive Diva:
I'm planning on diving with Blue XT in June. I think we'll have to meet the boat at the pier at Plaza Las Glorias (I could be wrong..). Is it fairly short distance from HSM?
They are at opposite ends of town, I would guess a 20-30 minute walk. I would let the dive op know where you are staying and see if they could pick you up someplace closer.

You can also get a taxi for a couple of dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom