Trip Report: Cozumel May 2008 Sand Dollar Sports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the course of a week we dove with 4 different DM's. 2 used computers, the other 2 did not, but I wasn't paying that much attention to their gear. One DM in particular I know was not using one because we discussed it. He said he wants to get one and he is saving his money. After that, I started paying a little more attention to it. The other DM that I believe was not using a computer didn't appear to have one on his gauges or wrist, so I assumed he wasn't using one. But I suppose he could have had one tucked in a pocket or something.

Rod, are you with Sand Dollar? I can tell you very few of the DM's we were with used computers nor Nitrox.

Hey there amigo, yes I am in Sand Dollar Sports at the Wyndham. You were with your wife and we spoke several times here at the Dive Shop. I have looked at your file and here are the days I have you booked that you dove, DMs, the computers the DMs use. As you will see all our DMs use computers and since we try to rest our DMs so they did not need Nitrox. Usually Nitrox is granted to the DM who has five days of diving in a row.

Monday 8:00am Boat: SDS Express total 16 divers / DM: Hectro Euan (Suunto) & Hector Xool (Aladin)
Tuesday 8:00am Boat: Ada Christina total 5 divers / DM: Miguel Estrella (Aladin)
Wednesday 8:00am Boat: Ada Christina total 4 divers / DM: Miguel Estrella (Aladin)
Wednesday 1:00Opm Boat: Gaviota total 4 divers / DM: Hector Xool (Aladin)
Thursday 8:00am Boat: Ada Christina total 6 divers / DM: Ernesto Canton (Atmos)
Friday 8:00am Boat: Roman Holiday total 7 divers / DM: Gener Rosado (Genesis)
Friday 1:00pm Boat: Ada Christina total 6 divers / DM: Miguel Estrella (Aladin)

I just personally checked this at the pier with these DMs. They all had their computers. But if you say you spoke to one of them and he said he didn't have one I believe you. I would, just for service sake, really appreciate it if you could remember who that was. The best way we can offer a quality service is by listening to your comments and reacting to them. If one our DMs did not have a computer it is not how we work and I need to rectify it. I am sorry for this issue, I appreciate your comments and I truly hope that this will not be a determining factor when you revisit our island.

Thank you

Rod Sand Dollar Sports at Wyndham Cozumel

I just posted this in another thread, I guess you have not seen it?, and wanted to C&P it here so divers would get a better picture of Sanddollar. Hope it helps

Hi Rod.You have become the Task Master at Sand Dollar, Wyndham since Arazio moved over to video? I just booked with SandDollar, my 4th time, for August, through Susan in Houston, so I'll see you in a month or so. Susan is marvellous and a great help. When you call her to book your diving, she is very thorough, you tell her your experience level and she makes sure you get on the right boat. She now knows me so she knows my level and makes sure I get on the smaller, experienced level boat. If you are new to diving she will also make sure you get on the right boat so your needs will be met.

I can tell you from my own personal experience, SandDollar is a good Dive Op. Yes, there was a problem with shortened bottom time a year or so ago but the owners, Suzzanne and John, sent out an email to staff saying that would not be tolerated, and not to mix experienced divers with new divers, and that has stopped. If you are staying at Wyndham Reef Club it really is very very convienent to use SandDollar, since they are very fairly priced, better than all the smaller outfits, they are onsite, have good rinse tanks, very good, safe lockers and flexible dive schedules, one morning, one afternoon. Since I'm on vacation I want my diving to be as hassle free as possible and not have to wade out to another dive op and trudge all over the island to flil out dive forms with another dive op that is not onsite. I also like that al my gear is right where I can see it and access whenever I want to. Sanddollar fits the bill for me. I have also dove all the advanced dive sites with them.

In short, Sanddollar will measure up to all the other dive outfits, no one is perfect, and you will get your money's worth. I will write a short trip report when I return to let you guys know. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

Great review post.

We were also at the Wyndham & used Sand Dollar for 2 day's diving in early June.
Personally spoke to Rod, who booked us on the small 6 pack boat, Ada Christina. There were only the 4 of us on the boat, 2 adults & 2 teenagers. The DM & boat Capt were very thorough & patient. Excellent service. Hooked up all the gear for us, gave us proper weights, and led us on outstanding dives. Well worth the extra tips.

We only dived 2 tanks per day, still has my 20 yr old analog gauges, so no computers. We always comes up when the first diver reaches 700 psi, always do at least 3 minutes safety stop at 15 ft. Easy recreational diving, Then go enjoy the rest of the day at the hotel.

Between dive days, Sand Dollar staff rinsed & dry our gear, stored them overnight at the shop. Very convenient. Again, very well worth the extra tips.

Overall, we enjoyed the Wyndham & Sand Dollar is highly recommended!

I just posted this in another thread, I guess you have not seen it?, and wanted to C&P it here so divers would get a better picture of Sanddollar. Hope it helps

I would better describe myself as Mahahual reject than "task master". I recently rejoined Sand Dollar Sports after Hurricane Dean turned my business and home back into a public beach. I was fortunate enough to have SandDollar pick my family and me up; I owe them one. Nonetheless, thank you for your kind words. I agree that there may have been issues as in any company that has the track record (25 years) of operation as Sand Dollar has on the island. But I am comitted to reviewing procedures and getting our service to our divers at the level and degree you all expect from us.
Regarding Horacio, he is better taking advantage of his time dedicating himself to his business which is the Video service of all our divers. He has expanded his presence at our dive shop and has a screening room for all our divers who have there own video or photo cameras. Horacio and Sheila are a huge asset to our service and we are proud to have them onboard.

HoustonDiver8:
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...

Rod Sand Dollar Sports at Wyndham

Hey there amigo, yes I am in Sand Dollar Sports at the Wyndham. You were with your wife and we spoke several times here at the Dive Shop. I have looked at your file and here are the days I have you booked that you dove, DMs, the computers the DMs use. As you will see all our DMs use computers and since we try to rest our DMs so they did not need Nitrox. Usually Nitrox is granted to the DM who has five days of diving in a row.

Monday 8:00am Boat: SDS Express total 16 divers / DM: Hectro Euan (Suunto) & Hector Xool (Aladin)
Tuesday 8:00am Boat: Ada Christina total 5 divers / DM: Miguel Estrella (Aladin)
Wednesday 8:00am Boat: Ada Christina total 4 divers / DM: Miguel Estrella (Aladin)
Wednesday 1:00Opm Boat: Gaviota total 4 divers / DM: Hector Xool (Aladin)
Thursday 8:00am Boat: Ada Christina total 6 divers / DM: Ernesto Canton (Atmos)
Friday 8:00am Boat: Roman Holiday total 7 divers / DM: Gener Rosado (Genesis)
Friday 1:00pm Boat: Ada Christina total 6 divers / DM: Miguel Estrella (Aladin)

I just personally checked this at the pier with these DMs. They all had their computers. But if you say you spoke to one of them and he said he didn't have one I believe you. I would, just for service sake, really appreciate it if you could remember who that was. The best way we can offer a quality service is by listening to your comments and reacting to them. If one our DMs did not have a computer it is not how we work and I need to rectify it. I am sorry for this issue, I appreciate your comments and I truly hope that this will not be a determining factor when you revisit our island.

Thank you

Rod Sand Dollar Sports at Wyndham Cozumel

Hi Rod, I do remember you, I just spaced out on your name until you posted again. I honestly don't remember which day or which DM I talked to, since I didn't note it in my dive log. I will admit that its possible I got it wrong (recollections of events are sometimes fuzzy with all of us), but it was not an attempt to be malicious, merely a curiosity on my part, since I thought it was unusual. Maybe he forgot his computer that day or something. I tried to edit my original post to change the word "several" to "one" (in the sentence about the DM's using computers), but apparently you can't edit a post after a certain length of time.

I want to say that this did not affect my enjoyment of the trip, nor would it affect my choice of operation in the future (the schedule thing might, though). Overall, as I said in my original post, I think the operation is well run and very safe, and my wife and I talked about what a great time we had on this trip!

Overall I would give Sand Dollar Sports 3 out of 4 stars.

Last edited:
RODIVE,

You are the man! In all seriousness, you are doing a great job with Sand Dollar. Just keep the bottom time lengthy and the experience levels separated and I will certainly continue to be a satisfied customer.

We will be diving with Sand Dollar with a group starting July 4 through July 11 and look forward to enjoying Cozumel and Sand Dollar Sports again.

Keep up the great work,

jpdunc, Thanks bro. We are really trying to make a positive push for our Dive Shop

mruseless, Thank you! I understand what you mean. I am glad you will be back and please rest assured we will be here to make sure you have the most enjoyable and safest dives possible!

You all rock, Thank you.

Rod Sand Dollar Sports at the Wyndham

Rodive, you have helped put my mind at ease. I'm headed out this weekend for the 3rd time in a year and this is going to be my first time using an onsite resort operator. I look forward to meeting you.

Dimitri

jpdunc, Thanks bro. We are really trying to make a positive push for our Dive Shop

mruseless, Thank you! I understand what you mean. I am glad you will be back and please rest assured we will be here to make sure you have the most enjoyable and safest dives possible!

You all rock, Thank you.

Rod Sand Dollar Sports at the Wyndham

Woot! We'll be down next week with the group from Pinnacles Dive. Hope to meet you then!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom