trip report - cozumel - fiesta american/dive house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Just returned from a week in Cozumel. Our trip was from February 1st - February 8th. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana Cozumel Dive Resort and did our diving with Dive House (the on site operator). I'll start with the hotel....we loved it! We did the All Inclusive Plan. It was a little crazy having to sign for everything when it was all inclusive but we got used to that. The food was great. They have 3 restuarants. One is open for breakfast and lunch, one is open for lunch and dinner and the last one is a reservations only place. On the all inclusive plan if you stay for 7 nights you get to eat at the reservations only place twice. All of our drinks were also included. Now, on to the diving.

We would highly recommend Dive House to anyone. Now realize that we are still new divers so we don't have much to compare to but to us these people were great. Our favorite dive master was Pirate. We arrived on Sunday. Our first day of diving was Monday and we did a two tank boat dive. The first dive was to Paso Del Cedral at 80 feet for 25 minutes. Others got to stay down longer. We have learned that my hubby is an air sucker!!! The second dive was at Yucab and we went to 60 feet for 30 minutes. We saw lots of fish!

On Tuesday we did another 2 tank dive. First dive was to Santa Rosa at 80 feet. All I can say is WOW!!! We did a couple of swim throughs...a first for us and the wall was just amazing with color and fish. Second dive was to Punta Tunich at 60 feet. I now understand the term drift diving...the current was really fast but it was so cool to just float along. Punta Tunich also has lots of fish and coral. On Tuesday night we did a shore dive...we had unlimited shore diving with our package. The current was really strong and since we didn't want to have to walk with our tanks when we were done we tried kicking into the current with the intention of drifting back. Wow...we didn't make it far!!! We gave up after about 10 minutes, drifted back to the exit point and got out.

Wednesday it was on to another 2 tank boat dive. First dive was Columbia at 80 feet. We saw Sea Turtles, shrimp, and more. There was a really cool swim through that opened up to an amazing look at the ocean...just incredible open-ness. Second dive was to Tormentos at 60 feet. This dive wasn't as great as all of our others. The visibility wasn't as good (all the others were 100+ feet) and the water seemed more cloudy. On Thursday our first dive was to Columbia again. Just as good as the day before! The second dive was to San Francisco wall at 60 feet....AMAZING WALL!!! Saw big grouper, spotted eagle ray, tiny star fish, angel fish and a lobster. We definitely wanted to go deeper!

On Friday we went to San Francisco wall again and this time we got to go to 80 feet (next time we will spend the 5.00 to use a computer so we can go a little deeper). This was also our first time on a six pack boat. It was great that there were only 5 of us but the ride was much choppier. Our final dive for the week was back to Punta Tunich at 60 feet.

On all of the days except for Friday we were on bigger boats. There were between 9 and 11 divers each day. Two dive masters went down with us. One to lead and one at the back. Pirate was our favorite dive master and he took the time to look for creatures for us when he saw that we had underwater cameras.

Well, we had such a good time that we are going back in May!!! Here is a link to our pictures if anyone would like to see:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b34ada69656c

If anyone has any questions just ask!

Michelle

Great report and you made some very good photos. Think I will check this place out!

Wonderful report, Michelle! :thumb: Sorry we missed diving with you, we were there Feb. 7-14. We only dove with Pirate once, on Feb 8th. He was with a large group the rest of our trip. Your pictures turned out nice!

Just wanted to say thanks for a great report on your stay at the FA with the AI plan. I'll be headed to Cozumel in May, doing the same plan. Hopefully our experiences will be as good as yours, I'll definately have my buddy rent a computer.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom