Trip Report: Anacapa/Santa Cruz Island - Nov 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great that you had a super trip, but you do realize that for two weeks in Mexico, we're going to rib Nick about being a super cool tech diver, right?

Heh heh heh :) Me the kool dood ? More like not so much!

It was a superfun day, I have never dived Santa Cruz before, so the second dives were a real treat for me -- it looks way more like San Miguel than Anacapa.

Got in a couple of dives with Jamie and one round of dive acrobatics with Chris and Ken L (it's amazing how hard it is to do a proper backflip in scuba gear!)

Now I am finally off to paradise for a few weeks so I (selfishly :) don't really care if there are 40 foot waves in SoCal :)

Got in a couple of dives with Jamie and one round of dive acrobatics with Chris and Ken L (it's amazing how hard it is to do a proper backflip in scuba gear!)

Those last 15 minutes of the dive go down as one my most memorable dive moments. Nothing to do with the dive site itself but rather 3 fun teammates making complete donkeys out of themselves underwater. I wish I could've seen the look on someone's face if they had seen the three of us. LOL! Not a care in the world trying to create our own version of the underwater Olympics. Laughing so hard my mask kept flooding and eyes burning from all the salt water in the mask. Silt and chaos everywhere with lots of underwater laughing. Too much fun...

Better watch out, Ken . . . somebody will report you to the GUE training council. Don't you know that GUE divers, particularly GUE Tech 1 divers, are not ALLOWED to have fun?

Oh lobstah would be me :D.

It was a pleasure to meet you. Now make that december trip happen :).

I'm still kinda of lost, no pic on the profile so who is "Me" ? :D:D

Better watch out, Ken . . . somebody will report you to the GUE training council. Don't you know that GUE divers, particularly GUE Tech 1 divers, are not ALLOWED to have fun?

LOL. Nobody would have been able to identify us through all the mushroom clouds of silt... :wink:

Yeah, that would be great. IThey both got certified when I did but they decided that cold water diving wasn't for them. :shakehead:

It was 60F down south, easy diving and beautiful - think they'd try again :D? I heard Catalina can get up to 72F. And then there is alway road trippin' to Baja :D!

Next time we have crazy swell, lets talk :D.

Last edited:
Amazing... I had no idea DIR divers ever paid any attention to the marine life in the water. I thought you techies just spent time practicing valve drills and stuff like that (said only slightly tongue-in-cheek).

Bill,

I hear you. I kinda thought the same thing in the beginning, but still liked the scooters and awesome diving style :D. I was really intrigued to recently hear of GUE members drawing transects and counting Nudi's in 200ft water, and much more.

BAUE is a large regional branch of GUE up here in San Fran. If you get a chance check out some of the local projects - until recently I had no idea that GUE is a non profit and is involved in so many environmental projects BAUE Projects

This is a really impressive project that has been ongoing in Fla Conservation | Global Underwater Explorers

They have some amazing photographers, check this out if you get a chance: Featured Photos

Last edited:
:ssst:
Great report Kathy, thanks for posting it.
We had great vis on Catalina but the current felt like an underwater Santa Ana :wink:

Hi Dave :wavey:

Now I am finally off to paradise for a few weeks so I (selfishly :) don't really care if there are 40 foot waves in SoCal :)

Have fun!

LOL! Not a care in the world trying to create our own version of the underwater Olympics. Laughing so hard my mask kept flooding and eyes burning from all the salt water in the mask. Silt and chaos everywhere with lots of underwater laughing. Too much fun...

Shhh ! Sounds like my tropical wetsuit diving!

Soon enough in a drysuit :D! Maybe that's what I should be praticing in the pool :D!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom