Trip Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bl6394

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Question about trip insurance on a charter / liveaboard:

I booked a charter to wreck off of the Eastern coast of the US. Charter is a liveaboard. Wreck is about 90 miles offshore. Charter was for 2.5 days - with up to five opportunities to dive (morning one, afternoon one, morning two, afternoon two, morning three) - seas and currents permitting. Charter organizer required I get trip insurance - which I did (Travel Guard).

When the departure time approached (11PM before day one) - the captain advised that weather was unfavorable - so we spent day one of the charter in port hoping for improved weather. On the afternoon of day one - the captain advised weather required the cancellation of the trip. Later that evening - the captain rescinded the cancellation and advised an attempt would be made. We actually left on the morning of day two - at 6AM. 10 hours later - on the afternoon of day two - we arrived at site (about 4PM).

We remained on site until approximately 7PM in what appeared to be dive-able conditions. (In all fairness - I'm a diver - not a boat captain - so take my assessment with a grain of salt.) The pool was never opened - and at 7PM - the captain advised that because of weather (heavy seas) we were returning to port. He cut the mooring line - and turned towards shore. 12 hours later we were back on shore. A $1750, 2.5 day charter - delivered 3 hours on site - and 22 hours of boat ride...

I'd like to file a claim against the trip insurance policy for trip interruption - citing weather. Is this unreasonable?

It seems that the charter operation is reluctant to document their execution / cancellation of this charter - something I require for the claim. Why would that be?

I appreciate any insights the board has to offer.

Regards,

I would certainly call Travel Guard's claim dept. and see if you can file a claim, they may or may not agree that you have coverage.

Travel Guard said I do have a claim for trip interruption based upon weather. They want the proof of cancellation / a statement from the Charter operator.

The charter is not being forthcoming with a statement. They said they would get back to me Aug 3 - then no response. I followed up with an email the next day - still no response from the Charter Captain or the Charter organizer (also a captain on the boat).

Would like to keep it friendly. But for $1750 - it's worth my time/energy to be persistent.

Thanks,

Don't understand why the charter operator would not provide documentation... a bit suspect IMHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom