Trip advice - early august

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifesabeach

Registered
Reaction score
Hi...I'd like to go someplace new...I've been to Alona Beach twice, Moaboal, Anilao, Dumaguette, and Sabang several times. I will arrive Manila and have 7 days - would like to get to the dive site in a half day -easy day of travel...like one can do to Sabang or Dumaguette...any advice?

It being summer I'm not sure about El Nido..like to do Apo Reef from there and it seems that Apo Reef in summer would be out so it might be better to save that for winter, Malapascua seems too far...Donsal- does it make any sense to go in summer? How about Siquior - can you fly there?...a bit of nightlife would be nice as well...Is there some place I'm missing? Thanks!

I am pretty sure that there isn't a airport at Siquijor. The boat journey from Cebu is quite long.

How about Subic Bay? Nice wrecks and plenty of bars!!!!!
Most of the sites are very near except those outside the Bay(eg. F-4 Phantom).
Take a public bus from Victory Liner on EDSA to Olongapo(<P260) and jeepney to the turn off to Baloy Beach(P12). Several places to choose(Harley, Mangroves, Seacapes) leading to Blue Rock. I always dive with Johan which is another 200m down the road. More places are availabe for staying. It is low season now.

Subic...I should give it a try someday, but I met a couple of guys in Sabang who said the viz was pitiful for a week and they much preferred Sabang...I'm more a fan of coral than wrecks...are there any coral areas, walls etc. around Subic?...glad to hear about the nightlife..the guys did give that a thumbs up....many thanks!

Siquijor is easy enough to visit, you can not really fly there but it is a short ferry ride to Siquijor from Dumaguette. I have only been there once(for about a week) but the diving was decent. There was no night life(other than the group I was with) to speak of. Let me know if you have any other questions about it. If your looking for night life I think the rankings are

Sabang-------Mactan/Cebu City-------Subic----------Moalboal(not too much)--------Dumaguette to a lesser degree ..

Others may disagree with my night life ranking...

Cheers,
Roger

Just so you know summer is over here. We are now into typhoon season.

Why in heaven would you say something like that? The weather is fantastic, the diving is fantastic, and it's not crowded. I'm sitting on a paradise white beach looking and glass flat, crystal clear blue water after a great day of diving with sharks, wrecks and macro life... typhoon, shmyphoon...

If I were planning a trip, the only time I would hesitate coming to the Visayas would be in late April through May(it stays pretty hot). Over the years however, that was when we would make our annual pilgrimage to Cebu because of Easter and the Fiestas we attend.

But you can always find a good place to dive...

rose_colored_glasses.jpg

Why in heaven would you say something like that? The weather is fantastic, the diving is fantastic, and it's not crowded. I'm sitting on a paradise white beach looking and glass flat, crystal clear blue water after a great day of diving with sharks, wrecks and macro life... typhoon, shmyphoon...

Just because the weather is nice where you are at that particular time does'nt mean the weather is the same all over the Phils.

June through November is rainy season and most has the most typhoons than any other time of the year.

Are you one of those guys who is always wearing rose colored glasses ?

Guys...I've been diving in the Philippines the last 5 summers and winters.. twice I have not been able to get a ferry due to typhoons in the summer....but once in Balicasac a day or two after a typhoon I had amazing diving which put the winter - am I down here during rush hour in Manila? - diving to shame...weather and the typhoon potential are part of the mix for decisions about summer diving, but I'm not going to stay home because of it....that being said, close to the departing flight from Manila - as in Subic - is a plus....I'd like to hear more about Subic....is the daytime diving worth the visit?

Guys...I've been diving in the Philippines the last 5 summers and winters.. twice I have not been able to get a ferry due to typhoons in the summer....but once in Balicasac a day or two after a typhoon I had amazing diving which put the winter - am I down here during rush hour in Manila? - diving to shame...weather and the typhoon potential are part of the mix for decisions about summer diving, but I'm not going to stay home because of it....that being said, close to the departing flight from Manila - as in Subic - is a plus....I'd like to hear more about Subic....is the daytime diving worth the visit?
I love Subic especially the wrecks.
The vis on USS New York is always very poor but it is the inner sanctuary that draws my attention.
I had never encountered stronge current inside the bay unlike Coron.
Typhoon can affect the country from early Apr to end of Nov. So shall I limit my visit to the country because of that? Not a chance.
BTW, will be diving in the country this Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom