Triox Primer with GUE Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a video by a GUE diver that stated you could take the GUE Triox Primer course after you earn at a least a rec pass. He said it's not commonly advertised but it can be done. Checking on the viability of it. I know it's gonna cost a lot given the helium that is used.

It can be done as an add-on to a Cave course, too, which is how I took it. It doesn't cost a lot (as GUE courses go) because GUE's Triox is 30/30, which is not a high helium content, and only a couple of dives (I think) are required.

I haven't used Triox since that course. I appreciated the additional clarity of thinking it gave me while task-loaded during course scenarios, though.

I saw a video by a GUE diver that stated you could take the GUE Triox Primer course after you earn at a least a rec pass. He said it's not commonly advertised but it can be done. Checking on the viability of it. I know it's gonna cost a lot given the helium that is used.
What's your motivation/use case for Triox? I'm guessing that the reason it's not so commonly done is that the only reason to use the gas is to reduce work of breathing and narcosis on demanding dives, it has the same MOD as Nx32. It has a narrow application. I can definitely imagine the advantage of triox in a high flow cave at 100ft, but for normal open water dives, with the price of helium, I would rather reduce the workload under water than splurge on helium unless I'm going deeper.

What's your motivation/use case for Triox?
After GUE Fundies I will be doing ANDP. I'd figured I'd get more bang for my buck if I took the class right after Fundies and I also thought the knowledge and experience would help me with ANDP.

it has the same MOD as Nx32. It has a narrow application. I can definitely imagine the advantage of triox in a high flow cave at 100ft,

Thank you for the information, if it's the same MOD as Nx32, then yeah there's no need to take it unless the course is free and we all know that is not likely.

Your options for using other helium mixes and going deeper with a single decompression gas in GUE are the REC3 class, which teaches 21/35 to 39m and the Tech1 class which also uses 18/45 to a maximum of 51m.

Your options for using other helium mixes and going deeper with a single decompression gas in GUE are the REC3 class, which teaches 21/35 to 39m and the Tech1 class which also uses 18/45 to a maximum of 51m.
You beat me to it. Yes, if @Tigerpaw 's goal is to do rec dives in the 100-130 ft range, which GUE considers "deep," then Rec 3 is what GUE offers toward that goal. To put it another way, Rec 3 is GUE's version of what PADI, for example, calls the "Deep diver" course, except that GUE's twist on it is the recommendation of a helium mix in that depth range.

But since @Tigerpaw mentioned he plans to take TDI's AN/DP next, it sounds like his goal is to get into the tech realm.

So, why not GUE's Tech 1 next? Yes, you'd have to reach the Fundies tech pass level with GUE, which at least for untalented me, took a very long time, during which I very nearly gave up in frustration and considered a non-GUE path.

But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. @Tigerpaw , best of luck with Fundies! Let us know how it went. People used to write up course reports: DIR Class Reports - A Consolidated Inventory?

What's your motivation/use case for Triox? I'm guessing that the reason it's not so commonly done is that the only reason to use the gas is to reduce work of breathing and narcosis on demanding dives, it has the same MOD as Nx32. It has a narrow application. I can definitely imagine the advantage of triox in a high flow cave at 100ft, but for normal open water dives, with the price of helium, I would rather reduce the workload under water than splurge on helium unless I'm going deeper.
This is actually legit. I did a bunch of nitrox dives in caves like that then did it on 3030. Shocking difference.

This is actually legit. I did a bunch of nitrox dives in caves like that then did it on 3030. Shocking difference.
I like to think it made the difference in Cave 1 between me finding the "lost line" in Ginnie and not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom