Trimming neck seal @#$#$%#&^*@!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having done more then a few seals and replacing seals on my suits and for friends.

I prestretch the seals over an AL80 for a day or so before installing them on a suit. This helps relax the latex and keeps the size more stable going forward.

For trimming I also use a Rotary cutter. For those that don't know, think pizza cutter that is sharp enough to take off a finger with ease. As a second choice a BRAND NEW razor blade will do the job as well.

The cutting surface is VERY important. You want to strech the seal just a little bit so its stable but not a lot. You also want a plastic or wood surface (PVC works good as other have said). Cutting on metal or glass surfaces will dull the edge of the blade VERY fast. Which then as said before will cause dragging and a possible tear.

The technique of cutting is the last key. You want to make one sweeping motion without lifting the blade. You want a nice very clean edge when done. Any nicks or bumps will be the seed for a split as the seal deteriorates. NEVER use scissors to trim a seal, EVER! If the edge of your seal looks like a dog chewed on it your going to have issues in about a year.

sharp scissors worked out perfectly and were actually recommended by numerous people. I was also told that prestretching does absolutely nothing. Your seal loosens up as the material breaks down, not because it's stretching.

sharp scissors worked out perfectly and were actually recommended by numerous people. I was also told that prestretching does absolutely nothing. Your seal loosens up as the material breaks down, not because it's stretching.

I don't know many people that recommend scissors. I know for a fact that Mike at Dive Right In Scuba uses a razor blade, he even has a demo video on his site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=JEtgWZli6SI&feature=related

Prestretching is a recommend procedure from OS systems. It does work, I have stretched seals that where just a tad to tight over trying to trim a half ring off.

I know some people who recommend scissors (MUST be good sharp clean with perfect edges!), but I know a lot more who strongly recommend against them. Just too variable.

A rolling cutter's razor edge really is the best, most reliable method. And they're not expensive... so why fight it and take a chance?

I have the zip seal system and am very happy with it. I do however have to trim the seals to fit. I cut my first one by myself and highly recommend a second pair of hands!

I use scissors (they are ONLY used for trimming seals)

DUI also has some videos out showing how to trim seals and they recommend a nice sharp pair of scissors as well.

Very interesting to read all of the different ways people doing it.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Plastic vinegar bottles work pretty well - they're about the same circumference as your neck.

I don't waste my time trimming the neck seal any more. I pull the new seal over an AL 80 and let it set for a couple of days and then go diving. Maybe my neck is smaller, but it sure solved all my problems. Heck, on my new Santi drysuit, I never even stretched the seal. I just went diving. Granted I need to pull it away from my neck once in a while before I get into the water to get some more blood into my brain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom